• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

I've got a like-new IBM PC XT available for next to nothing.

Captain Regular

Hi. First post here. I've got a tale...
My first computer was a used Tandy 1000EX, nothing special, but it played games very nicely and taught me DOS. It was lost in a housefire and replaced with a 486, and upgrades later I now have a normal current system. I've wanted a "sleeper" computer for a long time. And it would seem that God has recently started me almost on a mission to get one.

My fiancee and I were having a 50s-themed party, and needed vintage clothes. To the Goodwill and thrift stores! (In that order.) Long story short, no 50s-syle clothes, but I did find a VERY nice Tandy PS2 keyboard and after that a Tandy Power Switching System. I couldn't hold back. I need a Tandy 1000-era system. Well, just the case and drive faceplates, really. So I guess I'm looking for a shell or non-working Tandy 1000. The older, the better. But I AM looking to trade. And I've got something I think might interest some of you. It's a fully-functional Macintosh SE dual floppy. The thing was MAXED OUT. 20 meg hard drive, 4 megs of RAM, System 6.0.3, and Word 4.0. Original mouse, keyboard and even original Apple power cord included. It's not without its faults. The seam along the front has some very minor bruises in it, it looks like someone tried to pry it open, and the operation of the floppy drives isn't ascertainable. The bottom one was covered with masking tape with no disk in when I got it. I've never tested either of them.

I was originally going to turn it into a MacQuarium, at my fiancees strong agreement, but couldn't bare to ruin a perfectly good Classic Mac. But I'm not a Mac person, and I want it to go to a good home. I think this community can offer that.

I want an old Tandy 1000 shell. Any model will really do, black 5.25 floppies preferred, but not necessary. You should understand that it would be gutted and a modern system installed, although in a "stealth" manner. To look at the outside, under no circumstances (save maybe a few ports on the rear) would you be able to tell it's anything OTHER than a Tandy 1000. It would have to be the non-keyboard integrated models, obviously. However, I'd also trade a non-working Classic Mac for this working one, in hopes that I can build my MacQuarium with a clean conscience. Thank you.

UPDATE

UPDATE

UPDATE:
I've since acquired (independently) the following in relation to my quest.
1. 5.25" floppies, including a copy of DOS 2.1, which is perfectly able to boot and make copies of the disks on the IBM, and I have a 5.25" drive in my regular-use Athlon XP machine, so I can download and write disks to it. It boots beautifully and runs flawlessly, both drives operate perfectly.

2. A Tandy 1000 with little hope for regular operation. The case is nice, but the guts were awful. It attempts to boot, the drives APPEAR to work, but I have no keyboard and cannot USE it as is. I wish to mod it, it's a perfect candidate, but it IS small. So I no longer need a Tandy 1000.

3. Fish. My finacee brought them home. The pressure is on to build my MacQuarium, this SE I have is looking less rare and more aquatically hospitable everyday. Someone take it off my hands before I do something stupid.

Oh, and I also made a webpage detailing what I have with some VERY high-res pictures. Beware, some are BIG.

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/tberger/index.htm

Pm me if you're interested in a Tandy 1000EX w/ memory expansion board installed. The mem board is not fully populated, but they are kinda hard to find these days, with or without memory.

--T

Did you say you would sell (or find a good home for) the IBM PC/XT? I'm looking for a clean functional PC/AT, but I'd be proud and thrilled to have the XT (I have a lot of old MS-DOS software that would probably work on it.) Please let me know what you would sell it for. Believe me; it will have a very appreciative home here....

Thank you for your attention,

WayneT

WayneT said:
Did you say you would sell (or find a good home for) the IBM PC/XT? I'm looking for a clean functional PC/AT, but I'd be proud and thrilled to have the XT (I have a lot of old MS-DOS software that would probably work on it.) Please let me know what you would sell it for. Believe me; it will have a very appreciative home here....

Thank you for your attention,

WayneT
I have to warn you, it's quite a different beat from the AT. Older, and it looks it from the outside (style-wise. It looks brand new as far as quality goes.). The AT began approaching the more common generic desktop look of the early 90s. And it's a monochrome screen, with a monochrome video card. It boots, from both floppies, I have DOS for it and it works beautifully, but feature-wise, even compared to others from its time, it's fairly basic. Keyboard would be included if you need/want it, as would the monitor. I paid $15 for it, but shipping it would be the hardest part. I honestly don't know how much that would be, so I can't set a price just yet. On a much more positive note, this is less common and more "vintage" than the AT, and I may in the very near future be able to add a slew of parts to it. I'm not sure what, but when I get them, I'll be sure to keep you at the top of the list. If you're collecting for vintage, I'd have to say this is a better find than an AT, but if you're looking for functionality, probably not - at least not yet. I'll keep everyone updated when I get the next load of stuff.

The Beautiful XT

The Beautiful XT

Thank you for responding so quickly. Yes, I know that the XT is a bit different cosmetically; I had one a long time ago. I love the way the XT looks as well as the AT (and I especially like the Compaq Deskpro 386 case as well); the software I have will run on an XT as well as an AT (I think). It's actually not very processor-dependent stuff (Sidekick v1.52, GW-BASIC 3.2, Flight Simulator v3.0, PC Tools v2.06, Procomm v2.4.2, etc.) Thanks for keeping me in mind if you let the XT go; it will provide me with many hours of joy....

Regards,

WayneT

A New Fish Home

A New Fish Home

I forgot to tell you ; I also have a Mac SE w/ one floppy and one hard drive that won't boot up from the hard drive. I'd be glad to trade you for your working one, if that sounds fair to you.....it'll make a good home for the fish!!

Regards,
WayneT

Back