• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Enable for DOS

Yup, you got it. Used to be able to have 8 docs open at the same time. Did a lot of writing on it, it came out right arund the time Wordstar decided to come out with Wordstar 2000

and, would Wordstar 2000 be the oldest piece of software to have the 'year' naming convention in the title ???

for some reason, Enable's been on my mind a lot lately, probably I'm sick and tired of the massive footpring Word has, and the fact that every time I sit in front of someone else's computer, I spend 5~10 minutes changing resolution, turning office assistant off, turning toolbars off, moving toolbars, etc...
My disks are corrupted, unfortunately.

I suppose I could fire up Wordperfect, but truth be told, I never much cared for it. Oh, well. The quest for Enable continues. What ever happened to them, anyway ?
patscc

Good idea, but I actually try to avoid uunet, or whatever it's callled today.
Too many people. Too many cranks( so, of course, I shouldn't be there, especially), too much trash. oo much work to filter it all out.

Tried that years ago, anyway. Someone tried to patch Michelango onto the boot sector of the rawrite image I got. As if...

thanks, though
patscc

Hi patscc,

If you're still looking for Enable, I may be able to help. I have a software suite titled Enable, copyright 1984 by The Software Group. The box is labeled "Evaluation Copy not for Sale" and the disks are stamped "Not for Resale" in red ink.

There are six books in the box, here are the titles:

System Overview
Database Management
Spreadsheet/Graphics
Telecommunications
Word Processing
Getting started/quick reference/customer support plan/diskettes

Three diskettes, all the files will fit on one 1.44MB floppy. I loaded it into an old laptop and it seemed to work fine. For the price of postage you can have the 1.44MB floppy.

Aw, heck. Postage won't be more than a dollar or so, send me your address and I'll mail the disk if this is the software you're looking for.

Kent

Enable OA Revival

Enable OA Revival

There is an Enable forum [more correctly called Enable OA since version 4.5 was the last and is the current version] and the name changed around 1990 from Enable to Enable OA. Use the above link to get on the thogscave EnableOA forum by scrolling down to the bottom.

OAtinyScr.jpg

:eek:ha: EnableOA can send commands to other Windows apps via its .exec_dos command. Its .popup command pops a rolodex picklist. We're having a ton of :thumbsup: fun with the current OA Revival. We can probably get a complimentary copy of Enable OA to you online.

OA tracked the ordnance in the first Gulf War. Your friendly IRS agent used it on his field computer when he audited you. For running a business or tracking planets, let's hear it for EnableOA.

Thank you Enable Software Inc. of happy memory.

P.S. Today I started an Enable OA thread on this board. It's July 4th weekend and OA is an All-American Software candidate, having been produced in Saratoga County, not very far from where Burgoyne surrendered at Saratoga on Oct 17, 1777 -- the turning point in the American War of Independence. Enable OA was used by the military to track the Ordnance in the First Gulf War.

Attachments

• OAtinyScr.jpg
    OAtinyScr.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Welcome Mid Michigan

Welcome Mid Michigan

I see Enable OA has made it all the way to Michigan and half way up the state... somewhere. Your link is direct to thogs. Mine takes you through the OA Revival screens and ultimately leads you to thog it. Today I found in my archives a neat little game in OA that I wrote for a family with six kids where each kid [or anyone for that matter] could enter his number and see what the program said about him or his siblings and the mom and/or dad. It's about six years old and still works. Maybe I'll send it gratis to new members; they can alter the code and make it do and say other things.

/OAfurf

Last edited:
Thanks for Thogs

Thanks for Thogs

MidMichigan11 said:
Should you have the opportunity to still enjoy Enable OA be thankful. The product can perform tasks beyond it's creators imagination at the time. Fo those that would like to join the OA survivors we can be found at http://www.thogscave.org/mailman/listinfo/enableoa

See you there!!:)

Hey MidMich, thanks for the Thogscave click. Just tried it and found the downloadable archives; so without downloading I clicked on the earliest archive thread [Oct 05] and followed the instructions that led me to a photo of an old EnableOA cabalist Carleton U. sitting looking at his screen wondering if all is right with the world and longing for the glory days of OA. Hey..... Carl? Are you still ticking?

He was talking about leaving the state [of Ohio I would imagine]; just don't leave the planet.... yet. /OAfurf

Color Me Enable OA

Color Me Enable OA

Today I sent around a self-executing OA script to determine colors. It's an Enable OA word processing file which converts itself to a database script and shows you the various colors responding to your inputs of digits to specify foreground and background colors. It was also sent to the OA Cabal. Very special people are on that wee list. Color Me OAfurf

P.S. Today I started an Enable OA thread on this board. It's July 4th weekend and OA is an All-American Software candidate, having been produced in Saratoga County, not very far from where Burgoyne surrendered at Saratoga on Oct 17, 1777 -- the turning point in the American War of Independence. Enable OA was used by the military to track the Ordnance in the First Gulf War. See you on the OA Forum. /OAfurf

Last edited:
Enable replacement?

Enable replacement?

Has anyone found anything that comes close to a replacement for Enable?

Thanks Terry. Gastroman will be very welcome on the OA board. I got the email notice which said the message was posted on the ENABLE FOR DOS board and thought "wow, we haven't seen any action there in ages. I'll switch him over to EnableOA".

Then I clicked the link to Vintage and found you had beat me to it. Another reason why our EnableOA remnant are so grateful for the Vintage Computer Forum. /OAfurf

I've got unofficial copies of it (and some official copies somewhere on 5.25" I believe)... if you're still looking I can rummage through mah floppy cabinet. :D

Back