• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

SGI/Sun yahoo groups now in existence

re Sun Ultra

re Sun Ultra

Hi
Didn't I read the same sentence on a MARCH posting yedterday or today?
Anyway, it's funny hat you should ask just now. I met a guy yesterday who told me he has several. and wrote doen the following: SUN Ultra 10, 360 MHZ 512K RAM/ 9 Gig Hard drive and a CD ROM drive. He also has several SUN monitors in the 17* to 19" catagory.

I just spoke with the guy on the phone, He has six of the systems listed above and will sell them with or without monitors, He also has a flock of cases, mostly empty and a "pile" of power supplies.
He wants $100.00 a pop for the systems without monitor, and $50.00 a pop for monitors.

If you have any questions, write o me and I'll get answes. But you must be precise because I know less that nothing about SUN products, even though the recently retired Director of R & D and Technology is a relative. (I never met the man but do a little checking and you will see that the total number of people in this country with my last name is about 10 to 13 and ove half of them are known blood relatives )

Let me know if you read this ASAP. If not I will send it to the MARCH website.
Ray,

as of yet I don't know a whole lot about these machines. I'm inheriting a whole gaggle of Indy's and other SGI stuff. I have Sparc Classic and a monitor, but haven't gotten around to even connecting them (the monitor is buried, the Classic seems to work). The price for the Ultra 10 seems attractive, but I'm not going to spend any money on this stuff until I know more about them. I'll need some time.
Ray, whatever happened with our discussion of the Sanyo's? I don't think I ever heard back from you.

Suns and stuff

Suns and stuff

honestly, if you are wanting to get your feet wet with Sun hardware, I wouldn't bother with the Ultra 10. It's actualy a pretty modern machine....

As for the 3/60, you might want to hold off on that one for a little while....or maybe not ;)

It's a non-trivial place to start ;)

I'd stick with the Classic, IPC or IPX....for a few reasons I can elaborate on if anyone cares.

although, it's not really the "Sun" experience, if you see an Ultra 5 on the cheap (read $50 US) consider grabbing it just as it's very easy.

It uses IDE drives, VGA moniteurs and with a commonly available breakout box, PS/2 kb and mouse.

anywho, just my two pence as a recovering Sun addict.

-mikol

Dude...that stuff (aside from the 3/60) isn't really vintage. Yeah, the SGI and Sun stuff comes cheaply these days, but it's something interesting to learn about. I wouldn't mind having a somewhat modern Sun box.
And if you're on the road to recovery...what are you recovering to??? Who brain-washed you into buying a Windows PC??????

WindowsPC

WindowsPC

> And if you're on the road to recovery...what are you recovering to??? Who >brain-washed you into buying a Windows PC??????

Non Sun == WindowsPC ?

um....

;)

actualy

actualy

seriously, I still have an IPX and Ultra 5, the "recovery" part was getting rid of the other 5 or 6 assorted Sun boxen.

Most of my home computer usage is on Linux and BeOS (used to work there)

-m

Yeah, forgot about Linux. But from what I'm told it would even run alright on something as old as a Classic (maybe that means without a gui though). The people that I've talked to that used Solaris like it better than Linux though. Yeah I've noted the prices on the Ultra 5's. Probably could have had one for about $25 at the Trenton Fest a few weeks back. I don't know to what degree Linux is kept up on the Sun or SGI stuff, but I'd have to expect it's buggy.

SunOS

SunOS

just my opinion of course...

if I were running a Classic (or IPX or IPC) I would run SunOS 4.1.4
it's pre the "big System V" switch of Solaris. Solaris would not be
much fun on a Classic. Linux would be cool...but 4.1.4 is the "real
experience"

groovy...so can you receommend some good sites on Sun and SGI stuff. I know about Obsolyte.com for instance, but they don't even profile the Ultra 5/10. A forum or two would absolutely rock.

hmm...

hmm...

ya know...

You are in New Jersey?

I've got a friend in West Orange who would probably give you an IPX if he still has it....

-m

if he's got the keyboard and mouse I'd be interested. But I "live" nowhere near W.Orange, a good ways further south, and I won't even be here much longer.
Do you know of any cool sites describing some of the newer stuff. Not too new though...

Back