• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Visions of Hell

Terry Yager

Veteran Member
Ok, boys & girls, for your viewing pleasure, a series of pix depicting scenes from ComputerHell. Picture if you will, a 4500-sq.ft. basement with row upon row of shelves, stacked from the floor up, with a 20-year collection of vintage hardware, software, docs, and what-have-you. This link should give you some idea of what my playground is like. If anyone has any questions, please refer to the specific filename(s), and I'll try to answer as best as I can.

http://webpages.charter.net/shent449/comphell/

And yes, everything pictured is for sale.

--T

Ah p!ss, the link ain't working. Dunno what the problem is but I'll see if I can fix it asap. In the meantime, if you can handle a 6.25Mb attachment, I'll gladly email you the zipfile.

--T

Here's a list. If you see anything interesting, feel free to req the whole zip, or mebbe a couple of individual pix, till I figger out my webpage situation.

comphell.rar All the images
0089 A brace of Atari XLs & a TRS-80 2000 x
0090 Toshiba T100s in a pile of trash x
0091 Trash-80 Mod 4
0092 Antiqe O-scope
0093 DEC Rainbow with hard drive in a floor-mounted stand x
0094 An old color graphics workstation, probably CP/M-based
0095 NorthStar 8" hard drive & a Wang PC x
0096 Another view of the same Wang beside a TI professional, with a couple of Epson QX-10s in background x
0097 A closer view of the QX-10s & a tape drive x
0098 More TI Professionals x
0099 Half-a-dozen Sanyo MPC 550/555s
0100 Heathkit dual 8" floppy atop an H/Z-89/90 with what looks to be a Z-120 behind it x
0101 A couple of TRS-80 8" hard drives flanking an Altos MP/M machine with hard drive. Also visible, a Bernouli box
0102 A stack of Bernouli boxen with a stack of media for them x
0103 A shelf of Tandy 1000s
0104 Some NCR systems I know nothing about x
0105 A stack of Laser 128 (Apple ][ clones)
0106 A row of assorted Apple ][s
0107 More Tandy 1Ks
0108 Commodore country
0109 TRS-80 8" Expansion box above a couple of Model 16-ish things & another TRS-80 hard drive x
0110 Yet another bunch of T1Ks and a couple Zeniths in the background
0111 Monitors in assorted flavors
0112 DEC Professional 350 x
0113 Industrial-grade IBM monitor, believed to be EGA
0114 Xerox 820 dual 5.25" drives x
0115 TRS-80 Expansion Unit fitted with 2x 8" hard drives & some PC/XT cases x
0116 Yet another pile of Apple ][s
0117 Software, docs, paint cans, other stuff
0118 Another style of Heathkit 8" folppy drives x
0119 Shelf of TRS-80 Mod IIIs
0120 More Mod IIIs & some Mod IVs
0121 Another QX-10 & two H/P drive units (bottom shelf) x
0122 Big stack of 8" floppies, mostly CP/M & Tandy stuff
0123 More Apples
0124 Very rare C=64-based POS terminal
0125 Big boxes fulla software & docs
0126 Same shelf, different view
0127 Peanuts & a Sun SCSI enclosure
0128 Pallet-o'-goodies
0129 A couple boxes fulla assorted PC-Jr sidecars
0130 More Peanuts
0131 Peanut keyboards
0132 Another pile of Peanut keyboards & some more monitors
0133 Another pallet of T1Ks & some monitors
0134 Yep! That's right, there's even a CBM 8032 (PET) x
0135 Same PET, better shot x
0136 Apple //c+, the rarest of all Apple //s x
0137 A shelf of Apple 2GSs & a couple of Macs
0138 More Macs, etc.
0139 Another //c+ x
0140 Osbornes 1 & 2 x
0141 More monitors
0142 Something in a Sony suit
0143 A shelf of 8" floppies
0144 Xerox software (forgot to shoot the computers it goes to) x
0145 TRS-80 Mod I stuff, etc.
0146 Genuine Lear-Seigler terminal x
0147 Some kinda IBM stuff (came from a railroad office) & a Victor 9000 below x
0148 Washed-out pic of an Atari laser printer (only works with Atari computers)
0149 Compaqs, anyone? x
0150 IBM stuff
0151 Xerox 820 8" drives x
0152 TRS-80 Model 16s x
0153 Model I monitors & junque
0154 Big box of TRS-80 books (third-party) x
0155 Macs & a tire
0156 Another ancient O-scope (dual-trace) x
Whew! That's it kiddies...

--T

EDIT: I've placed an "x" next to some stuff that is no longer available.

Re: Visions of Hell

Terry Yager said:
Ok, boys & girls, for your viewing pleasure, a series of pix depicting scenes from ComputerHell. Picture if you will, a 4500-sq.ft. basement with row upon row of shelves, stacked from the floor up, with a 20-year collection of vintage hardware, software, docs, and what-have-you. This link should give you some idea of what my playground is like. If anyone has any questions, please refer to the specific filename(s), and I'll try to answer as best as I can.

ftp://webpages.charter.net/shent449/comphell/

And yes, everything pictured is for sale.

--T

being a webhost should'nt we be using the http not ftp?
most times you have to sign in to view someones ftp directory
unless they have special anonymous access. i dunno anyway
http://webpages.charter.net/shent449/comphell/
works just fine, just use a download manager to grab them all.

EDIT: or seems you have included the rar at the bottom as well

You do have alot of stuff, I would classify you more of a hoarder then a user/collector (many multiples of the same machines, and some in pieces or missing parts).

Have any Amiga parts?

Unknown_K said:
You do have alot of stuff, I would classify you more of a hoarder then a user/collector (many multiples of the same machines, and some in pieces or missing parts).

Have any Amiga parts?

Actually, it isn't my own personal collection. ComputerHell is what we call the basement of a 20-year computer sales & service center. They have specialized for years in servicing older machines that no one else would touch, so yes, there are a lot of "parts machines" down there. I've just been contracted to help them liquidate the stuff, in anticipation of thier going out of business.
OTOH, I probably could be classified as a hoarder, but I'm also a collector and a user. I play around with my vintage machines on a daily basis. My personal collection is mostly limited to portable machines, because that's all I have the space for. If I had a 4500sq.ft. basement, it would probably look a lot like CompHell though.

There is a very limited amount of Amiga stuff down there, I'll see what I can dig up.

--T

WOW!!!!! That is alot of stuff. If I were in there, I'd be a kid in a candy store. lol I'm interested in the Popular Electronics magazines in picture 0125 and the box that says TRS-80 docs on it. I am also interestedin the blue tape drive in picture 0097. What kind of connection does that tapedrive have on it, what brand is it, and what kind of tape does it take? I love old computer books and magazines, I love to read them just before bed. Let me know what other documents and books they have, because I need some more reading material.
I wish I was there to see all of that neat stuff.
Thanks,
Billz

Hello Billz,

The Popular Electronics have been sold, but we still have many boxes full of TRS-80 docs and software, for Models I, II, III, IV, 12, 16, 16B, 6000, etc. If there is something specific you're looking for, I'll be glad to take a look-around to see if we have it.
The tape drive is still available, and as far as I can tell, it's SCSI. It has a 63-pin, D-shell connector (3 rows of pins) that I have seen on other SCSI peripherals, such as Sun, etc. The name on it is Basic 4, and I don't have the tapes for it, but I'm guessing it takes standard 3/4" nine-track.

--T

I'm looking for all types of books and documents on older computers. How many books and documents are there? I may want to buy them all.
Thanks,
Billz

Billz said:
I'm looking for all types of books and documents on older computers. How many books and documents are there? I may want to buy them all.
Thanks,
Billz

Boxes & boxes full, but many are duplicates. (I should just sell 'em by the pound). Any p'ticular model you're looking for? (Have lots of hardware too).

--T

Back