• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Wanted: Serial Terminal

Billz

Hi guys,
I am looking for a serial Terminal, perferably a Lear-Siegler, but any other will do. It has to work. Here's what i want to do with it. I want to hook it up to my Tandy 1000 or some other older computer and want to fool around with it. I also need a null modem cable. Please reply if you have something to offer. by the way, I live in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, 53082
Let me know how much shipping would be
Thanks,
Billz

Have many, many terminals, but already sold the L-S ADMs. More info would help. Color or B& W? Old or more recent? Portable? Interface? Price range? Etc...? Interface(s)? Intelligent? Emulation? How about a nice old ADDS VP? Got a couple of good Kimtron terminals that are about the same vintage as your T1K. Something in a DEC? VT-220? Or mebbe a Wyse-50?

--T

all i want is a terminal that will connect to the serial ports, i think it's rs-232.
Do the terminals work? and do you have any null modem cables? I want something cheap, tho if i buy the books i may not be able to afford the terminal. I'm leaning toward the books.
Thanks,
Billz

Billz said:
all i want is a terminal that will connect to the serial ports, i think it's rs-232.
Do the terminals work? and do you have any null modem cables? I want something cheap, tho if i buy the books i may not be able to afford the terminal. I'm leaning toward the books.
Thanks,
Billz

I can sell you a terminal for $25.00, and about $25 - 30.00 for shipping. For the T1K, I'd recomend the Wyse-50, DEC VT-220, or one of the Kimtrons, all of which are contemporary to the Tandy. I used to build my own null-modem adaptors, but these days, it's cheaper & easier to just buy them. They can be had for less than five bucks most of the time, on eBay, or electronice/computer suppliers. Do you need 25-pin, 9-pin, or both? Male-male, female-female, or both?

The software & manuals are another story, but figure on at least $5.00 per title, or more, depending on what it is.

--T

db-9 i think i'll buy the books instead, i may have a friend who has an old terminal laying around. but thanks anyway tho, I'm really interested in the books.
Billz

Billz said:
db-9 i think i'll buy the books instead, i may have a friend who has an old terminal laying around. but thanks anyway tho, I'm really interested in the books.
Billz

Ok, I'll try and get you a more detailed list, but for now, just think about TRS-80 hardware & software manuals, etc. and figure out specifically what you'd like to have. Owner's manuals for the various models, software docs for a number of programs, etc...

--T

Why not just use your PC as a dumb terminal? Just connect the PC to your Tandy via a null modem, and run Hyper Terminal on your PC. It's included free with Windows.

Note- there are bugs in the distribution version of Hyper Terminal. I suggest that you go to their website and download the newer, better version (free) at
http://www.hilgraeve.com/htpe/index.html .

Using DOS by redirecting it over the serial port is painful. Only programs that use DOS function calls to write to the screen and read the keyboard will work. You can imagine that this universe of programs is pretty small.

If you want to experiment with serial communications, use another PC and connect it to the Tandy 1000 with a null modem cable. Instead of trying to run DOS over an alternative console, write a BASIC program to control the serial port. A simple 10 liner will do it; you can get more complex. At the other end of the spectrum you can find an old copy of Procomm or PC-Talk. Procomm 2.4.3 was a great version. PC-Talk was written in BASIC!

The other side of the PC connection can be Windows, Linux, etc.

I love playing with the serial port. I routinely use a PCjr as a terminal to a Linux machine, using both Procomm and a simple BASIC program. (PCjr Cartridge BASIC even had a terminal emulator program built it.) When using BASIC it was horribly slow - 300 bps was the best it could do reliably without dropping characters. Remember that the old machines did not have buffered UARTS so they dropped characters more easily if pushed.

There are plenty of places to read on how to manipulate the serial port.

Mike

Terry Yager said:
What if the T1K doesn't have Winderz? Then ya gotta use the DOS command "CTTY," (and MODE) which if youre not familliar with, is a real PITA.

--T

Well, if any other serial terminal will work with his Tandy, then so will an IBMPC running Hyperterminal. I assumed/he implied that the T1000 could somehow talk to a serial device.

We know that he has a PC, or he wouldn't posting messages here (surely the Mac has something similar to HT), so if it's a cheap terminal he's after, then his PC would do the job.

Running HT on the PC does not require that you also run it on the Tandy.

Yes, absolutely. I was just responding to his request for a terminal.

Back