• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

I scored a C64 DTV today at Kaybee

ahm

Staff member
I scored a C64 DTV (Direct To TV) unit today at my local Kaybee Toys store. It was marked "Manager's Special, $10", so I couldn't pass it up.
I don't know if this deal will be available everywhere, but you may want to check your local store just in case.
It's a pretty fun little thing. A quick search for "C64 DTV" has already turned up a number of hacks as well as the list of easter eggs.

I'd only just heard about that. I didn't understand why the lady in front of me was asking the cashier if the store would be closing, and he assured her that it would not.

Is there no money in toys anymore? I also heard that Toys R Us is getting out of the toy business (to become what, "R Us"?).

Of course, last weekend the same Kaybee store was running a store-wide "Buy one, get another for half-off" sale.

Well, I didn't actually go, but my fiance did...she managed to grab me one for my birthday. I've toyed with it a bit, and actually like it. The load times are great! The only limitation I can see is the # of games it has(many I never heard of, and a few I out and out don't care for)...I did find a few on it that captivated me enough to warrent the purchase. Jumpman Jr is an awesome port! Without a doubt, my favorite game on the thing. Paradroid is up there too, but a little tedious with the controls.

I found a site with the easter eggs, and I'm going to experiment tomorrow.

Overall, I like it at least as much as I do the "Pac Man" one that I have. It has a game that was only ported elsewhere under another name. "Radar Rat Race" was the port, but "Rally X" was the original arcade version. I could never find an original port of that, or the game "Stargate", another of my favorite arcade games.

Like I said, I like it....for it's load times if nothing else. I would have picked some much better games for it, but maybe they couldn't get the liscencing for those games. Who knows?

Considering how much hacking, documenting, disassembling, reverse engineering and overall usage the C64 has had in the last 23 years (!), any Easter eggs should probably have been known or exposed in interviews with the engineers by now. Of course there may be more or less subtle bugs, but they don't count as hidden features. The C64 ROMs are slightly updated VIC-20 ROMs. I'm not sure about the 64, but the VIC was kind of rushed in the end (resulting in an inferior disk protocol) so maybe there was not room or time to put in a last-minute egg.

wanted dtv in canda

wanted dtv in canda

Anyone know where you can get these in Canada ? Alternatly would anyone be willing to purchase a couple for me and ship them to Canada ?

katey

I can think of one place that might have it Katey, it's in Montreal Quebec. It's called Joe Cash on Ontario street. This guy, back then, had everything related to commodore computers, all of them. chances are he'd have them.

I googled for it just now and could only find information about loan places in ontario. but I know he exists. might need to go there and see for yourself. depends where you are in Canada :)

Montreal is a 6-7 hour drive for me, so a little far tho I did live there for a short time.

katey

Re: wanted dtv in canda

Re: wanted dtv in canda

katey said:
Anyone know where you can get these in Canada ? Alternatly would anyone be willing to purchase a couple for me and ship them to Canada ?
The Toronto PET User's Group had a bunch, I don't know how many they have left.

Just remember, one day, these things will be "Vintage"...

Also, I have a number of C=64s. And it doesn't have any easter eggs. :twisted:

Hey guess what... message from the future.
The C64 DTV now qualifies as VINTAGE.

You were right!

Back