• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

my C-64 experience

Computer Collector

Experienced Member
A few years ago I bought some good C-64 disks at a thrift shop. I didnt have the computer yet, but got them because "they were old computer stuff".
Then, a few months ago I finally picked up a C-64 and some games on cartrige. It was fun to play with, but I still couldnt use the disk software, because I didnt have disk drives. But then
a few days ago I bought a couple of drives from another collector, and was finally able to use my disks. Apparently, only one of the drives works, becuase the other one wont load disks, but
instead says something like, "devise not found" (I forget the exact language). Other than that, it seems to work correct. do you have any idea what could be wrong? I cleaned it with a floppy disk drive cleaner for a few seconds. Should I do it more?
Anyway, with the drive that does work, I was able to play with some of this software I had all these years and never got to use before. (Im new to the C-64). The guy who sent me the drives (Nathan Allen) also sent me a bunch of additional software.
So Id like to tell you about some of it. I was loading thse disks and thought that the C-64 seemed very similar to the Amiga i a lot of ways.
(But the Amiga has better sound and graphics). So these are the disks I played with:

LOADSTAR - this is apparently some kind of monthly disk publication that was out back in the day. It was a neat disk. It had a lot of cool stuff on it. I would like to be able to have some other "issues". there was even computerised music on it, including the Salsoul Orchestra sond, "Ease on down the road." I thought this was real cool!
ATACK OF THE ATLANTEANS - Im 27 years old. I just dont have interest in some of these games anymore!
RESCUE ON FRACTALUS - Wow, I was amazed at this game. I never played it before and didnt have a clue what I was doing, but was amazed at the realtime 3D capabilities of the old Commodore! This looks like it could be a cool game. I think Ive heard of it before.
SKYFOX - I dont remember what this was. I played these a few days ago.
COMMODORE 128 TUTORIAL DISK - I didnt play this one. Im not sure if its for the c-64 or not.
GAUNTLET - isnt this a Nintendo game or something? It looks a lot like the Atari game, Dark Chambers. an endless mass of enemies to shoot. I played a few minutes, had enough, and moved on.
GEOS WORK DISK - Wowsers! This has some ancient and horrid graphics, yet, Im sure it was considered a good thing back then. Perhaps when I learn more about my C-64, I will find this one useful. This is basically "Windows" for the C-64. Pretty cool, I thought.
TIMEWORKS CAVE F THE WORD WIZARD - this was a fun educational game that actually talks! Its this type of game that makes the C-64 cool.
MONTEZUMAS REVENGE - Cool! i wanted this game for my 5200, never found it, but did find this disk a few years ago at the thrift shop. I was finally able to play it. These disks are old; I dont want to wear them out!
THE LAST V8. - this game looks like it could have been real cool if I could actually control the car good. This game has good potential, but they screwed up when they designed the controlability. This game talks, also.
HOMEWORD - this is a word processor. I wasnt very impressed, but it has its good points. first, it has a black screen, (beats staring at the COCO2 green screen any day) and 2, it looks like something i might be able to learn witha little time. Funny, when I printed out my document, all the capital letters came out lowercase, and the lowercase letters came out upper case. This didnt impress my wife, and I was trying to "sell her" on gow good the C-64 is!
PITFALL II - almost identical to the 2600 version. - very fun!
GAMES 1 - all I saw was one dumb hangman game, but then again, Im just learning how to even use the C-64.

I still only played about half the disks, so Ill let you know what other crap I find later. I also got from another collector some games he put onto tape for me.
Now, I already had, new in the box, a C-64 tape drive. It seems to work just fine, but I cant play any of the games. When I go to run them I get scrambly, horizontal, colorful lines on my screen instead of the game!

Some of this software is pretty good yes, I remember playing those too back when I had my commodore 64 :).

GEOS Graphical Environment Operation System was indeed very kewl to work with back then. It was considered one of the best GUIs available. it was ported to the Apple and then to the PC. (tha's how popular it was before Windows killed them all ;-) ).

Does the (semi-functional) drive work ok if you use it as the only drive? If so, then you just have an addressing problem. The first drive is addressed as device #8, and the second drive has to be device #9.

--T

Ive been reading the C-64 instructions here:
http://www.lemon64.com/manual/

However, from what I can see, there are no instructions on how to create backup disks. Assumng I can only use 1 disk drive (unless I figure out whats wroong with the other), do you know how to copy programs? I have many blank disk, and just read the instructions on how to fomat them, but I need to know how to make copies. for example, any of those programs and games could go bad on me, and I would rather make backups first, which is what vintage computer users are supposed to do anyway.

Some might copy normally. But alot of the C-64 were copy protected. what you might want to try to find is things like Fast Hackem, Fast Load cartridges, 21 second backup...and other catridges (and electronics in the case of the 21 second backup)...if you really want to copy all of them.

As Terry indicated, try LOAD"$",9 with the drive that does not react to 8. Or 10 or 11 even, but it would be odd to have changed the device number that far. Notice that the device has its own number (similar to SCSI), not that the computer enumerates them.

If not even that makes contact with the drive, there may be more fatal errors in communication. If you power on the drive first and then the C64, does the drive spin when the computer is turned on?

If you need the copy programs, let me know. I have a good bunch of them. I too have a lot of disks from back then, and it's almost amusing to find after all this time, which ones have stood the test of time.
Just for fun, I want to take a dead "Electronic's Boutique" floppy back to the store, and tell them "it says right here, LIFETIME WARRENTY! I'm still alive, it isn't. Gimme a new one!"
The funniest part will be seeing the look on the kids face, as he tries to figure out what it is.

@Kaptain Skitzo

Sorry to butt in...but I could really use some decent copy progs. for the 64.... I have only Fast Hack 'em 4.0 and Copy 64/128 (weak). I have lost a few originals to time and carelessness.....most of my games can't be had anymore, most of my Mastertronic and Hewson originals, I can't copy... Just don't want to lose these games for good. Any help would be great!
:wink:

Back