• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

what computer should i choose?

I have a Mitsubishi Amity CP (tablet) here running Mitsubishi OEM Win 95 OS-R2, (is that the same as 95B?) which has a USB port, but I haven't actually tested the USB functionality yet.

--T

Terry Yager said:
I have a Mitsubishi Amity CP (tablet) here running Mitsubishi OEM Win 95 OS-R2, (is that the same as 95B?) which has a USB port, but I haven't actually tested the USB functionality yet.

--T
Had a Dell Demented pre USB Tower several years ago and tried to install an after-market 4 port usb card with its own software into this beast it WIN 95 B :roll: and I had some difference of who was boss. That version had support for a few UPS's and one or two USB card that were compatable to windows picking and choosing the addresses and irq's. Loaded in Win 98 and and it took that card like a long lost child and cared for it until the Celeron went pyro. Weren't the early celerons made with candle wax?

So, a PIII450 for 34 CAD and two PII233 for 9 CAD each? Are you going to build yourself a nice little network, or hoping that the lesser computers are part compatible? I might rather investigate whether the HP takes faster CPUs and later look at the loose 733 MHz ones the shop has to offer (19 for a Socket 370, 24 for a Slot 1).

"General discussions" means "general discusssions about vintage computing". This thread doesn't belong here.

I am hoping to build a network, consisting of the three computers i am planning to buy, one dell XPS T450 (I need a windows install disk, in order to get it up and running again), and a AST 486 running at 50MHz(currently my main dos box that i program with, but i will install win95 eventualy). Before i can set up the network, i need to make a stop at a friends house. He can get me win 95, and 98 install disks for free. :wink:

I dunno... Making old computer hardware do things sounds vintage to me. And the computers in question aren't gigahertz machines or anythign near it.

Why don't you fulfill the vintage requirement and use old ISA cards with coax ethernet on them and go with the coax? Heck, better yet, set up a token ring as your network. The stuff is almost as cheap as breathing since noone wants the old stuff, especially the ISA cards and older stuff.

jjzcsp,
How's the project going? Have you thought about going wireless? It's an idea. I've always been a token ring or coax fan myself. I know the hardware can be a pain but that's just me. I just ordered a HomeRF package and am looking forward to setting that stuff all up :) I got it cheap, all of it, three pieces includig the AP for $28 shipped. I live in such a small apartment that having cables would seriously take up room (not kidding!) and I just don't have it to spare. Another project that I have to stat is gettign what wires I do have (phone and cable tv) installed properly so that each room has access. As it is I got wires going from room to room across the floor. Gotta watch your step, heh heh.

It's great having a friend that has any software you could ever want, isn't it? I have a friend that's "corporate" that has hooked me up with software that he thinks I need but I'll probably never install it. I have to bug him extra to get the stuff that I want to install, heh heh.

Back