• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM Portable

spiderman

I still own the IBM Portable I bought directly from IBM in 1986. Is there a collectorsmarket for a machine like this, and what would it be worth today?

Stange enough I see quite some of these coming by on ebay (there is on now) and they seem to be more common than you expect.

They usually go for $50.00 - 100.00 on eBay.

Jorg:

The EGA Wonder card can be used in the 5155, and will display EGA resolution on the internal monitor. Downside is, it interlaces, but for some programs, it ain't too flicker-y.

--T

Spider, these are definitely collectible and there definitely is a market. I misplaced my copy of Michael Nadeau's book "Collectible Microcomputers" (which includes an excellent price guide) but you can reach Mike directly at menadeau [at] comcast.net.

Or if anyone else here has the book handy...?

mobilemaster said:
Spider, these are definitely collectible and there definitely is a market. I misplaced my copy of Michael Nadeau's book "Collectible Microcomputers" (which includes an excellent price guide) but you can reach Mike directly at menadeau [at] comcast.net.

Or if anyone else here has the book handy...?

I have my copy right here...

Value: $20. to $65.00 (pg. 74)

--T

Thanks for the replies, I am glad to know that I haven't been lugging this old thing around for nothing...

Terry Yager said:
They usually go for $50.00 - 100.00 on eBay.

Jorg:

The EGA Wonder card can be used in the 5155, and will display EGA resolution on the internal monitor. Downside is, it interlaces, but for some programs, it ain't too flicker-y.

--T

Hmm.. amazing that that works.
I dont have a 5155 though (yet....), I'll put it in my AT 5170 I think.

My 'portable' is this baby as you might remember :) http://www.gaby.de/eformula.htm

I'm currently in the process of upgrading mine (shoulda been finished, but the hard drive I installed turned out to be bad). I popped-in a 640K mainboard, 8087, some other options. Trouble with upgrading it is finding enough cards the right length. There are only 2 full-length slots, the rest are half-length (they're located behind the drive cage).
I've brought home a few more drives, so hopefully one of 'em will be good.

--T

There is a IBM 5140 portable on Tradera. The seller lives in my town, so if I would buy it I probably could arrange local pickup. The starting bid is 500 SEK ($62) and the buy-it-now is at 900 SEK ($112). But I'm not interested in an old IBM portable.

Are the convertibles too common, too recent, too constricted or something else? From a practical point of view, it seems more handy than the earlier model.

I'm not sure what makes them unpopular among collectors...mebbe it's just that everyone who wants one already has one (except me, I haven't bothered to pick one up...yet).

--T

Now when I come to think about it, I believe I have seen and even used one once. Perhaps it was someone who brought it to the computer club in high school, but my memory is quite fuzzy.

Back