• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Any ideas for inexpensive C-64 software?

marcfrick2112

Hello all, I have been a 64 fan since the machines were brand new. However,
my floppies seem to be dying over time. I have no local thrift stores anymore, and EBay is a risky idea, at best. (one auction was cancelled because of 'pirated' software included, but only After I had paid for it! Anyone have ideas about where to find relatively inexpensive C-64 software (mainly games and music programs)
Here are a few that have died :(
Knight Games (Mastertronics)
3001: A sound oddessy (S&S Sound ??)
BeachHead
Xevious

Any help would be great. Thanks!

Wow, Terry, Thanks for any help you could give. All my old C-64 owning buddies gave away or threw out all thier C-64 stuff :x And my Precious Salvation Army Thrift Store closed down years ago. (I scored 2 full C-128 systems....Computers, drives, and monitors, plus software (no games :( for $20.00 each. Those were the days

P.S. Thanks for being so easy-going and kind on these forums....too many forums out there figure that any 'newbie' doesn't know his head from a hole in the ground, flame city...

Ah, I hardly ever flame anybody, unless they really deserve it (Don't ask about trolling ng's tho, that's a whole 'nother topic). I'm basically a Passive-Aggressive type...

--T

I mean, I welcome the opportunity to interact with other like-minded individuals. If I didn't communicate with other geeks on a daily basis, I'd prob'ly go off the deep end (This time last year, I had all my furniture baracaded up against the front door, and I was "sleeping" with a loaded rifle in my bed every night, in case FEMA came to "disappear" me).

--T

Hi Terry, whoa..I take you're not joking about 'sleeping' holding a rifle....I guess maybe I am not so bad off, after all.....
I used to dislike being called a geek, but getting older, I almost take it as a badge of honor.
Out of curiousity what systems do you own?
Hope the moderator doesn't toss this for being off-topic :lol:

Being called a geek is a badge of honor, AFAIK. Nobody ever calls someone else that unless they're smarter than themself.
As for what I own, lately I've been focusing on handhelds, sub-notebooks, pen-based tablets, and "ruggedized" laptops.

--T

marcfrick2112 said:
Out of curiousity what systems do you own?
:lol:

LOL indeed, he might say, oh, lemme check, I'll be back with an answer in 3 years :wink:

Marc, there are FTP sites - although illegal - that offer almost everything you can need. They tend to rotate to different providers, but maintaining the URL. Of course you would need a way to transfer disk images from a PC to your disk drive as well as functional 5.25" floppies to take advantage of a such site. I realize that floppies are a bit difficult to come across, although a few web shops sell packs of newly manufactured disks.

Went on a search, but all could turn up was a little stack of bootleg copied disks for the 64. You can have them if you want for postage. (I haven't given up yet, I'm sure there's a box somewhere with C= 64 stuff in it).

--T

Back