• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

HD XT Controller

Re: HD XT Controller

Terry Yager said:
SEFCO 8-bit Floppy Controller, with 1.44Mb BIOS. Add High-Density drives to your PC/XT. $8.00, including shipping, or whaddaya got to swap?

--T

What kind of cables does that use?

(edit: need to specify: can I attach two 5,25" 1,2 mb drives?)

You have any idea in what area you would like to have the thing to swap for it?

Re: HD XT Controller

Jorg said:
Terry Yager said:
SEFCO 8-bit Floppy Controller, with 1.44Mb BIOS. Add High-Density drives to your PC/XT. $8.00, including shipping, or whaddaya got to swap?

--T

What kind of cables does that use?

(edit: need to specify: can I attach two 5,25" 1,2 mb drives?)

You have any idea in what area you would like to have the thing to swap for it?

I pulled it from a 5160 w/ one 360K & one 1.2Mb floppies, so that's what it is set up for right now (4-switch block for configuration). It has a "regular" style cable, with 4 ends, two headder and two edge connectors, so it should work for any combination of drives. I don't have any documentation for it, but with four switches, there's only 16 different ways to set it up, so trial-&-error shouldn't be too difficult.

As for swappage, old computer books are my first choice in that price-range, especially any having to do with 8080/85/Z80 AL programming/interfacing.

--T

Do you know where I could find another one of those? I Ordered an expensive High Density controller from JDR two months ago, and it will work in clones, but not in a real PC/XT.

Anonymous Coward said:
Do you know where I could find another one of those? I Ordered an expensive High Density controller from JDR two months ago, and it will work in clones, but not in a real PC/XT.

As it happens, I kicked-up another 8-bit controller that'll handle 1.44Mb drives. It's a Sysgen OmniBridge, and I don't have docs for it either, but all the settings are screened on the board. I can't swear it'll work in a TrueBlue, but I can't think of why it wouldn't, long as your BIOS & DOS versions support it This board also has it's own BIOS on-board too, with DIP switches to select the base address, so it can be used as a first, second, or third controller. $10.00, including shipping, or ???...

--T

I see i did not react to the first one either (I missed your answer). Right now I'm waiting for some parts to come in, then next year I'll see if I am going to rebuild my second XT, or sell it as parts- latter most likely (dead HD, dead Floppy :( ).
Think I'll punt a nice 386sx board in the case..

Jorg said:
I see i did not react to the first one either (I missed your answer). Right now I'm waiting for some parts to come in, then next year I'll see if I am going to rebuild my second XT, or sell it as parts- latter most likely (dead HD, dead Floppy :( ).

PUNT??? BOOTING ain't good enough for ya, now your down to last & five? (Sorry, American "football" reference...).

I'm saving a controller for ya...

BTW, I also found an 8-bit 2.88 controller (which has a "REG" output as well, I'm assuming it's for conventional drives).

BRAG Warning: I found another CompatiCard too, but I'm keeping it for myself...

--T

Terry Yager said:
Jorg said:

PUNT??? BOOTING ain't good enough for ya, now your down to last & five? (Sorry, American "football" reference...).

I'm saving a controller for ya...

BTW, I also found an 8-bit 2.88 controller (which has a "REG" output as well, I'm assuming it's for conventional drives).

BRAG Warning: I found another CompatiCard too, but I'm keeping it for myself...

--T

Just for the record: the incoming parts are not FD/HD controllers (Sorry, I don't get the football reference...at all LOL)

Sorry for the silly question, but... what is a CompatiCard ?

And Mr. Yager... still have any 8-bit high density floppy controllers ? I'd be interested in getting one if available. Thank you.

Back