• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by aplmak

1. A

Xenix External Added Hard Disk Shutdown

I actually figured more of it out. The different systems (80286 & 8086) handle mounting and unmounting in different configuration files. This was the first time I ever added external hard disks to the system so it is all new to me. On the 886 (80286) system the mounting is done in the "rc"...
  2. A

The infamous RD53 / Micropolis 1325

Oh I feel you on that sentimental data. With careful work I have faith you’ll get it! Just take your time no rush at this point right? Have you tried swapping the board on it? Oh and mine was a 1323.. but I might have a 1325.. this is what I mean by them digging out the data before dumping the...
  3. A

The infamous RD53 / Micropolis 1325

David G I think has experience with these drives. Maybe this link might help? He makes an MFM emulator board which is awesome. I have a few 1325's. I think one works fine.. the other has issues. I know one had problems and I had a spare board for it. I swapped out the board and whala! Aside from...
  4. A

Altos 586/986 Xenix install disks, or Images

I'm thinking it's got to be something in the ROM.... I might just keep trying versions to see if I can get one to work. Because both the hard disk (a new blank properly formatted image) and floppies (different ones of root and utilities) begin the boot process but just halt.... I mean what else...
  5. A

Oh and BTW I had the same issue on TWO 586T's with the same ROMS.. so it's not the motherboard or controller card..
  6. A

Rich I know this thread is a year old.. and I've been chatting with Chris (who is awesome btw). I wanted to let you know my experience with the 586. I have a regular 586 and have absolutely no issues booting from the floppies or hard drive.. Any version 3 (3.0, 3.1, but no 3.2) and SDX or ADX...
  7. A

Anyone know how to modify the shutdown script attached above to create a file upon each shutdown and then verify that upon reboot in the rc script (will need lines to enter)? If the file doesn't exist or it doesn't indicate a clean shutdown it will execute fsck? I'm not well versed on these...
  8. A

This is a very old version of Xenix 3.0e so it doesn't have the updated stuff we have now.. I did notice that "mfs" is not in this version in the /etc folder.
  9. A

Those two lines are ok to hash out yes? I am not sure why it added it and wants to perform an fsck to the secondary drive every boot... it's not really needed unless I didn't properly shutdown or umount on powerdown.
  10. A

I think I figured it out by sleeping on it. The add.hd added a few things to the "rc" file... I have no idea why. On my other system it did not do this to the "rc" file... echo "Checking the file system on the second hard disk" > /dev/console fsck -y -t /dev/hd1.roc0 /dev/hd1a > /dev/console...
  11. A

Hello all... just thought I'd throw this out there. I have a few Altos machines.. The 886 will cleanly unmount the system's drives at shutdown. The other older system will not. Upon reboot it fsck's the second external drive each time... I have a feeling there needs to be some sort of...
  12. A

Termcaps for VT100

Always a wealth of knowledge you are Svenska :) Thank you I will give these options a go :) :) Thank you :)
  13. A

Termcaps for VT100

Well I've reverted back to the VT100. Yes it only has P1-4 for keys. The emulation basically runs perfect now except for one application that wants more than four function keys. So what I did do is look through a long list of what terminals were supported in the original termcap file. The...
  14. A

Termcaps for VT100

I was just posting my progress to document what I've found, thinking this might be useful information to someone in the future. I have not been using the VT100 in the emulator for a bit now. I have been using it in VT220 mode, which doesn't have function keys 1-4. I have found you can modify...
  15. A

Termcaps for VT100

So I think my issue is there is no F1 - F4 on the VT220 keyboard by looking at one online... but there is a F1 - F4 on the VT100. Is there a way I could map in the VT220 the terminal caps for the VT100 for F1 - F4? Is that the "tc=" in the script??
Back