• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by benali72

1. B

Free Geek - your ultimate hardware playpen

If you like to play around with lots of old computer hardware, you might try your local Free Geek. Free Geek is a not-for-profit, unpaid volunteer organization that accepts donations of old computers, then re-uses what can be re-used and recycles the rest. The computers we fix up and give away...
  2. B

How to understand Laptop Adapter power ratings?

Hi, I have a bunch of old laptops and power cord adapters. Some match up, but some don't. Could I ask for help in understanding how adapter power ratings work? (I searched the web but couldn't find good explanations). I see Volts and Amps rated listed on each adapter and on the back of...
  3. B

Wet computer still works ?

I found a nice Apple III someone put by the curbside and it looks like it still works. But it was lightly rained on overnight. If I let it dry out completely before turning it on, will it start up? (I know that turning on any electronic item while it's wet will kill it, but I don't know...
  4. B

Looking to buy Windows XP Corp Pro

Looking to buy Windows XP Corp Pro, please email if you have it. Thanx.
  5. B

My 486 Really Flies !

I happened to use an old 486 today when I was down in the basement and needed to do some quick text processing. Man, does it boot fast compared to today's systems! I booted the machine, got into Windows 3.1, and then into Notepad quicker than my new 3.2 ghz machine with 1 gig RAM even boots...
  6. B

FREE for your pickup -- good old stuff !

FREE for your pickup in Evanston IL (a suburb just north of Chicago)... All I ask is that you be sincerely interested in this stuff for yourself (NOT for resale on Ebay or elsewhere). If interested, send me a private message and I'll tell you where to pick it up. We'll schedule a day and...
  7. B

RE: I make useful machines from garbage

RE: I make useful machines from garbage Hi everone! I'm so glad to find this board.... it's like a self-help session for me. Yes, there are others who are interested in old PCs too! I am not alone! (thought I might have to go on Oprah or something). I have this wierd hobby... I live on...
  8. B

Power Mac 7200/90 Newbie Questions

Hi, I'm a reasonably knowledgable PC guy but no absolutely nothing about Macs. Today I found an old Power Mac 7200/90 curbside. I'd love to get it working and play around with it. A couple of beginner questlons -- 1- The mouse was missing and I notice it takes a 4-pin connector (instead of...
Back