• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by chris2fett

1. C

? Whatever happened to Stewart Cheifet ?

Wonderful! I had not seen that post. He mentions going through spinal surgery, and that he was away for a while. Great to see him still around! For those that don't know, Stewart was one of the FIRST to push for a digital archive, and even had an official proposal to NASA to archive their...
  2. C

? Whatever happened to Stewart Cheifet ?

One of the TV pioneers for computer information that helped to spark my interest. But I am concerned... Stewart was active in social media but has been radio silent for a couple of years. No mentions of his passing online that I can find, but no recent posts on Facebook/Twitter. I can see where...
  3. C

(not unexpected) Lo-tech XT-CF lite V2 installation issues. Help!

Thanks for all of these suggestions! I could purchase a 720K 3.5 drive and attach, but looks like I will have to use the DRIVPARM command to get it to work ion the model D. Fortunately, TexElec was gracious enough to accept my Lo-tech XT-CF lite card for return. I'm trying the Blue Lava XT-IDE...
  4. C

Awesome info! But.... and this is the main issue holding me up from troubleshooting the lo-tech card further... while I can download those files to my modern computer, I have no way to transfer them onto a 5.25 floppy to then use them on the Leading Edge Model D :(
  5. C

Yes, I can boot from the floppy drive(s) just fine. I will check the Bluelavla version seller on eBay; I haven't found the specific product you mentioned yet but I will keep looking. Thanks for the heads up!
  6. C

That's a great idea... but beyond what I am capable of at this time. I will probably have to return the Lo-tech card :( I am wondering if it's worth purchasing an XT-IDE rev 4.1 (with XUB 2.0) or if I am just going to run into the same problem(s).
  7. C

Ah, I see. Well, disabling the RTC by setting motherboard J13 pins 2 and 7 to "OPEN" did not help. Same error message/screen as above. the ISA card is "new" from Texelec; no additional software was provided. Unfortunately, I have no way to transfer any of these recommended downloaded files to...
  8. C

Thanks for the input. I would need to figure out how to disable to RTC on a Leading Edge Model D; I believe it's motherboard jumper J13 set to OPEN. Not sure how to access the built in XUB software to make the change. Here's the screen I see:
  9. C

After spending some time online in these forums and YouTube, I am not surprised to have some growing pains with installation. Hoping someone here may help me trouble shoot a little, since I am still a newbie at this. I recently purchased a Lo-tech XT-CF lite V2: having some initial install...
  10. C

newly acquired Leading Edge Model D - monitor cable and IDE/CF help needed

UPDATE: Seaken, thanks for the info! My Leading Edge Model D is working great so far without any major modifications/repairs required yet! It's running Phoenix Bios 2.13, and I am DESPERATELY wanting to install an XTIDE device and wondering if the following quote from a decade old...
  11. C

Leading Edge Model D and the XTIDE

April 2023 Newbie here, and I am necro-reviving this long dead thread for some help. I just received my Leading Edge Model D, double 5.25 FD model, no HDD, with Phoenix Bios 2.13. DESPERATELY wanting to install an XTIDE device and wondering if the following quote from above still holds true...
  12. C

newly acquired Leading Edge Model D - monitor cable and IDE/CF help needed

QUICK UPDATE / and a question: Well, the Model D arrived. I gave a quick glance at the motherboard, nothing obvious/ worrisome standing out. Looked remarkably clean. Battery was not bulging. Hit the power switch, and passed the smoke test. Inserted the 16 bit Trident 9000 based video card into...
  13. C

TexElec ISA IDE to SD Adapter on IBM 5150

Following this thread with interest, as I am still DEBATING purchasing the TexElec for my ndewly acquired Leading Edge Model D. Adrian Black had to flash a newer version of the Pheonix BIOS to get his working on a Model D (I don't have the ability to do that), so I am concerned RE: the XT-IDE BIOS
  14. C

Dos Copy II PC software make backups of 1980s "booter" disk games?

Thanks for the warning. There is a Copy II PC Deluxe Board on eBay now and I've been watching the bids.
  15. C

Dos Copy II PC software make backups of 1980s "booter" disk games?

Thanks, I'm getting V 6 for the IBM PC/compatible systems so I will see what happens.
Back