• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Dos Copy II PC software make backups of 1980s "booter" disk games?

chris2fett

I've collected several original booter disks from the early IBM PC/XT/AT and compatible years (such as the AtariSoft/Thunder Mountain games). I can't seem to find if Copy II PC was/is able to make successful back-ups of these non-standard "booter" / self-booting disks. Does anyone know?

I've looked online without success.

Thanks for your assistance!

I’m pretty sure it will, but it might depend on the disk.

I remember in Jr high we had some PC Jr and XT in the school library and I remember a booter that was a Sherlock Holmes game. I was able to copy it with diskcopy, but when you played the resulting disk it would pop up a graphic and message saying that you had been arrested for illegally copying the disk. I’m pretty sure I was able to make a good copy with copyiipc, but that was 30 years ago so I might be remembering wrong.

Depends on version you use. Was it v4 that started breaking options due to pressure from software companies? I have a bunch of different versions, as I just recently acquired an Option Card. I can dig out the floppies tomorrow and see what I have... Far as I know the older versions have no issues. I can make disk images if necessary.

Last edited:
If the "booter" is not copy protected and uses standard disk geometry then yes, Copy II PC will copy it.

Otherwise it entirely depends on the copy protection that any particular software title uses. Simple protections such as mis-numbered sectors or intentionally invalid CRCs should copy easily. More involved copy protections such as data hidden in the gap, or laser hole protection will not.

Also, don't confuse the Copy II PC software with the Copy II PC Deluxe Option Board AKA Transcopy card. Despite the name, two totally different things. The Copy II PC Deluxe Option Board/Transcopy card is a flux-level copier sort of like a Kryoflux.

I’m pretty sure it will, but it might depend on the disk.

I remember in Jr high we had some PC Jr and XT in the school library and I remember a booter that was a Sherlock Holmes game. I was able to copy it with diskcopy, but when you played the resulting disk it would pop up a graphic and message saying that you had been arrested for illegally copying the disk. I’m pretty sure I was able to make a good copy with copyiipc, but that was 30 years ago so I might be remembering wrong.
Thanks, I'm getting V 6 for the IBM PC/compatible systems so I will see what happens.

If the "booter" is not copy protected and uses standard disk geometry then yes, Copy II PC will copy it.

Otherwise it entirely depends on the copy protection that any particular software title uses. Simple protections such as mis-numbered sectors or intentionally invalid CRCs should copy easily. More involved copy protections such as data hidden in the gap, or laser hole protection will not.

Also, don't confuse the Copy II PC software with the Copy II PC Deluxe Option Board AKA Transcopy card. Despite the name, two totally different things. The Copy II PC Deluxe Option Board/Transcopy card is a flux-level copier sort of like a Kryoflux.

Thanks for the warning. There is a Copy II PC Deluxe Board on eBay now and I've been watching the bids.

If you don't mind using a modern system to duplicate disks, Greaseweazle boards are usually a lot cheaper.

IMG_20230401_161916306.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow I can start playing with the card and software. I looked up some info for converting images, might need a hint in the right direction once I get that far...

I also have a list of known software that will backup correctly. I need to scan that in as well as the associated paperwork and manual.

Last edited:
You might not have to scan any board documentation; I think I've got every one of them scanned here: http://archives.oldskool.org/pub/OptionBoard/

Hopefully the board you got was the Deluxe Option Board, instead of the earlier board. The later board has more functionality, can use the last revision of transcopy (v5.4), and can write transcopy images that you might see floating around the interwebs.

Looks like the manual and some the paperwork is uploaded, but I have a few pieces of paperwork that are not in the archive. Will scan those in this week.

You might not have to scan any board documentation; I think I've got every one of them scanned here: http://archives.oldskool.org/pub/OptionBoard/

Hopefully the board you got was the Deluxe Option Board, instead of the earlier board. The later board has more functionality, can use the last revision of transcopy (v5.4), and can write transcopy images that you might see floating around the interwebs.
I have the first gen version... Had the chance to get the deluxe (v2), but this V1 should do most of what I want to do. Haven't decided if I will use it in my XT or Compaq Portable.

Back