• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by codyw1996

1. C

Check for 386+ cpu in assembly.

I'm surprised Google isn't returning any results on this, but i'm looking for a simple test to determine if a 386+ cpu is installed. I don't own an 8088/86 system, so I can't really figure it out on my own. I have no way of seeing how code would behave on a 16-bit cpu as opposed to 32-bit. I...
  2. C

386 PC with Texelec Radlib Card - Willing To Ship

Texelec's Radlib card is an accurate clone of the original Adlib Sound card. I paid $99.99 for it last year, and it's still in perfect condition. The PC was another eBay purchase from a few months ago, I paid $150 for it. I'm selling the PC with the Radlib for $80. That's $60 for the PC + the...
  3. C

Vintage laptop PSU repair

Unplugged the charging brick from the wall and laptop for a few hours and it stopped working again. Left it plugged into the laptop for a few minutes while the laptop's power switch was off (don't think i've purposely tried this before) and it started working. Maybe it needs to charge the CMOS...
  4. C

It's working now. I have no idea what the issue was, but now I can't reproduce the problem. Something is definitely dying, but it seems fine now. Guess this thread can be closed. It's a Halikan LA-30A. The brick has two 17 volt pins, two ground pins, and one NC pin. It outputs 17v at 3.42...
  5. C

My 286 laptop's PSU died after I accidentally left the laptop running overnight. It was working fine when I fell asleep, and then dead when I woke up. I don't see any obvious damage and it doesn't smell burnt. It's putting out less than 1 volt. It's rated for 17 volts. I tested the fuse in the...
  6. C

Are hard drives that used 1024 byte sectors still common in vintage PCs?

I'm writing FAT16A/B CHS (non-LBA) file system access code as part of an MS-DOS program that i'm writing in 8086 assembly language. I plan to release this program (it's a game) for people to run on their actual hardware. I found the DOS file services to be a little too restrictive, so i'm...
  7. C

I want to store a large, contiguous array of bytes on a floppy disc. Is Fat12 needed?

Hi, I'm an 8086 16 bit assembly programmer. I need to be able to store large arrays of pixel data outside of memory. It's map data for a game. The idea is that maps will be loaded from storage into memory (during level transitions), then screen sized chunks of it will be copied as a frame into...
  8. C

Will any 16 bit vga card work with a 286?

I have a 286 laptop which I use for testing 16 bit assembly programs on actual vintage hardware. I would rather use the 286 laptop for everything (writing and compiling) without relying on my modern laptop and dosbox, because the 286 has a much better keyboard and a built in number pad...
  9. C

Does the speed of an 80287 math co-processor have to match the speed of the CPU?

I bought this laptop on eBay for 60 bucks. It's a Chaplet Systems model LA-30A. The only problem with it is the floppy drive. It has a mechanical issue preventing it from correctly reading or writing the last half of any floppy disk. I've tried lubricating and cleaning it, but it doesn't seem...
Back