• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by crock

1. C

Commodore PET/CBM 8060 and 8280 Series Questions

1. It reports DOS 3.0 on power on, but all those are a bit arbitrary. 2. I think it's broadly the same. I never measured it but I do not remember it being noticeably faster or slower. The format is slower though as it's a 2 pass process. 3. I don't think that's correct. Power to the spindle is...
  2. C

Commodore PET/CBM 8060 and 8280 Series Questions

I have an 8280 which I restored years ago. Formatted capacity is 3946 blocks, so about a megabyte. One of the use cases of the 8280 was that it can also read IBM 3740 format disks, and the drive supposedly came with utilities to read the, but I have never managed to track them down. As to the...
  3. C

PET 2001 Cursor flashes intermitently

I have a rather nice condition PET 2001, which mostly works OK. It has the 6550 RAM's and 6540 Basic-1 ROM's. It boots, shows the correct RAM, and basic programs seem to run OK. However, the cursor flashes intermittently and sometimes stops flashing completely. That made me suspect the IRQ...
  4. C

SuperPET Keyboard for APL

Hello all, my SuperPET doesn't have the keyboard stickers for APL, which makes it very difficult to use. Could someone who has a SuperPET with the APL stickers do me a huge favour and take a high-quality photo for me to use a reference please? Many thanks, Rob
  5. C

Tandon TM848-2 fuse

Nope, black bullet shaped ones. Here's photos of the failed caps and fuse, plus my ugly repair until I receive some axial 4.7 uf caps.
  6. C

Tandon TM848-2 fuse

I have a Tandon TM848-2 8" floppy drive where the fuse next to the power connector has blown. No idea yet where the cause is, but I can find no info on the rating of the fuse, and it doesn't appear on the schematics, at least that I can find. Does anyone know what a suitable replacement would...
  7. C

DAMS IEEE cartridge for C64

Gents, I've got a clone of the DAMS IEEE cartridge for the C64, but unfortunately it's just died on me. As the EPROM was soldered into the board, I had never got around to reading the ROM contents, which is annoying, as I'm fairly certain that is what just died. Does anyone have a) a ROM image...
  8. C

Broken JU570-2 mechanism for 8250LP, SFD-1001

Hello Gents, A bit of a long shot here. This week I have mostly been going through my drives re-capping those that use the JU570-2 mechanisms with the leaking capacitor issue. The drives in my 8250LP work perfectly now, but one of them has a broken actuator on the latch shaft, it's the one...
  9. C

Mystery Component. What is 6.8nM ?

Hello All, I'm in the process of refurbishing an early switching PSU from a Commodore 8296D and I'm trying to identify the orange disc component in the attached image. I think it's a high voltage capacitor but I'm not certain, and neither do I understand the markings. If it is a cap, what is...
  10. C

Looking for PRG to measure rotation speed of IEEE drives on a PET or CBM-II

Gents, I am looking for a PRG that I can run on a PET or CBM-II to measure the RPM of a connected IEEE drive. I am certain I have used one within the last couple of years but all my searches today were fruitless. :-( Does such thing exist or am I remembering wrong? cheers, Rob
  11. C

Want to borrow or buy: 8 inch floppy alignment disk

Hello everyone, I recently acquired a Commodore 8280 8" floppy drive which looks it's spent the last thirty years outside in a barn. As such it needs completely stripping down and as I have no 8 inch disks other than unformatted blanks, I'd really like to borrow an alignment disk for...
  12. C

Unknown PPM PET roms

All, I acquired an 8096 SK a while back with some unknown ROMs - at least to me. When it boots it tries to load a file called "autoload" from device 8. The only clue I found to them was on a humanist website, which suggested that a company called PPM in Brookwood, Surrey, UK used to convert...
  13. C

PET software archive?

Hello all, Does an archive of commercial pet titles exist, either game or productivity? I know there's a few bits on zimmers and some PD stuff on TPUG but the PET has nothing like those that exist for it's descendants (vic, 64, plus4/c16 and amiga.) I recall that someone off this list (drea?)...
  14. C

PETulant PET Power

Hiya all, I have a recently restored an 8032 that has been giving me sporadic problems with blowing fuses. When I first got it, it was completely dead. After cleaning it all up, replacing one of the rectifiers, some RAM, a burnt out trace and removing the line filter, it's now working well...
  15. C

Composite picture from a CRTC PET

Gents, My preferred way to work on PET boards is to have the board out of the machine and hooked up to a bench supply and a small LCD monitor. This is easy using one of Matthew D'Asaro's composite adapters but they only work on the old non-CRTC PET's. They don't work on CRTC based PET's. Now...
Back