• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by Den2016

1. D

Anyone in the Chatham-Kent area (be my broker for a minicomputer purchase)

Hi, There's a DEC VAX minicomputer up for auction in the Chatham-Kent area (Ontario, Canada). I'm out of the country right now (returning August 16) but I want to bid on the item (ending soon). I'm looking to see if anyone here lives in the Chatham-Kent area and would be willing to be my...
  2. D

Powerbook 165 with two external SCSI zip disks

So it looks like it works with the autodetect cable (despite what it says here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.periphs.scsi/YTFMWwrrlWQ) I got it to work with the Zip plus at the end of the chain (with SCSI ID=6) and in my case SCSI zip drive (SCSI ID=5, termination=off).
  3. D

Powerbook 165 with two external SCSI zip disks

I picked up a SCSI Zip 100 Plus recently and along with my SCSI Zip I thought I would be able to setup a SCSI daisy chain with the two devices. I'm encountering System bus errors when trying to connect the two to my Powerbook 165. So maybe someone can help me? I've included a picture of the...
  4. D

Powerbook 165 SCSI connection (external) to a Sun Storedge S1

I'm not too familiar with SCSI so I was hoping someone may know. I've got a Sun Storedge S1 1U storage array that has got 3x SCSI drives. On the outside of the array are, I believe, HD50 pin SCSI connectors. I was wondering if it's possible to connect a Powerbook to the storage array? What...
  5. D

Worst case scenario plugging an LCD monitor (non-multisync) to Amiga 500

So I picked up a DB23 to VGA cable from eBay and hooked it up to a NEC multisync 1960NXi LCD monitor and the monitor could not detect a video signal. Given that this particular monitor is not on the list (http://15khz.wikidot.com) I'm not too disappointed. I'll try one on the list next time.
  6. D

C64 video and audio question

Can someone help refresh my memory. Back in the day, I used to hook up my C64 through the RF modulator. Question: did the C64 output audio through a speaker? Or does the composite signal include audio? These days, I'd like to hook up my C64 by using the video connector (I have the 8 pin din...
  7. D

Worst case scenario plugging an LCD monitor (non-multisync) to Amiga 500

I've got an Amiga 500 that I'd like to get going again. I've always used the A520 RF modulator to display to a TV set but I don't have one anymore. So I've been reading online about hooking up the Amiga to an LCD computer monitor. I've read that a multisync monitor *should* work as they will...
  8. D

LS-120 drive troubleshooting

I'm sorry if this thread is in the wrong place but I'm not sure where to put it. I purchased an Imation Superdisk drive (SD-USB-M version) recently and I'm having issues with it. It works fine when inserting a standard HD floppy disk, my current Macbook Pro (2015) mounts the floppy fine. But...
  9. D

LS-240 drive (support for FD32MB)

Anyone own an LS-240 (SuperDisk) drive? It came out in 1999 or 2000 and was only available until 2002. Apparently it had a technology in which to read/write to standard HD floppies (1.44 MB) and store up to 32 MB of data. I'm wondering if anyone has written 32 MB onto a standard 3.5 inch HD...
  10. D

Simplest way to get a bootable floppy to format a disk on a Powerbook on MacOS

I'm new to MacOS software, I'm learning but I'm encountering issues that I find strange that I don't have an explanation for. From my experience with Basilisk II and reading online, it seems that for a disk to be bootable all it needs is: 1. HFS format 2. System Folder 3. System file 4. Finder...
  11. D

Old 800k HFS Mac formatted floppy corrupted?

So I have a colleague at work asking if I could extract files from a floppy. I'm having trouble reading from the floppy and before returning it to him with 'so sorry I did the best I could' I thought I would ask here. What applications are the best to use to attempt to extract from a floppy...
  12. D

Backup Powerbook 165

Hi all, I just recently picked up a powerbook 165 so that I can run Linux on it. But I want to backup the old MacOS first. Is there an easy way of making a backup of the hard drive? Could I use the serial port for instance? Or is the SCSI port the best way? SCSI cables are hard to come by...
  13. D

IBM PS/2 8570-081 Memory Expansion Option Card

Hi all, I have an PS/2 with the standard 4 MB of RAM. There is an extra slot available (on the system board) which means I can expand the system memory to the maximum 6 MB. I'm looking at possibly purchasing a memory expansion card. I'm looking at this reference...
  14. D

IBM PS/2 Model 70 battery and keeping time

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question. I didn't really search in the forum for the same question (because it's probably a stupid question). Does the PS/2 keep time? My PS/2 doesn't. I noticed when I remove the battery I have to use the reference disk to be able to boot my computer. And one of...
  15. D

AST Premium 286 Model 140 keyboard failure

Hi all, I'm getting 2 short beeps when starting up my AST 286. http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/astbeep.htm says it's "The keyboard controller has failed" whereas http://www.textfiles.com/computers/ASTRESEARCH/0366.tb says that it's LOCKED UP and I should call AST Research for assistance...
Back