• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by Denniske1976

1. D

SUN SPARCstation 2 - serial console garbled after OS start?

Well, set the NVRAM and ethernet/hostid. Doesn't make any difference (I did find out I can send a BREAK signal with screen though, so I learned something). All the errors are gone but still after loading vmunix everything goes weird, also in screen so it's not the Terminal program I'm using...
  2. D

Well, 7E1 don't make it better... still the same. I checked the readable output a bit and made some screenshots... there's an "invalid format code in NVRAM" error and I see the system type set to Sun 4/60 and afterwards to Sun 4/75 if that makes any difference? The ethernet address and hostid...
  3. D

Hi Alex, This is the First SUN that gave me this "issue", although as mentioned below (well, above) I never had anything pre-SunOS 5.9 installed on one of them (I got them this way). I'm using some program on my MacBook Air, I think it's called SerialTools or something, works perfectly with one...
  4. D

Hi guys, I have a little issue with my SS2 (kinda hard to explain in good English, but at least we still have the photo's): I picked up another SS2 (and a very cool SS20 with 2 CPU's) after "that other SS2" seemed to have memory mapping problems. So now I had this one, obviously RTC battery was...
  5. D

Philips NMS9100: several questions

It's been 12 years, still looking? I might have something. (NI engineers manual NMS9100) ;-) (sorry, couldn't resist)...
  6. D

SUN SparcStation 2 memory issue?

Thanks for the answers guys, I'll check on that... but I did remove all the SIMMs and cleaned the slots, didn't notice any bent or missing pins. I did find something on the internet about a guy who also had the Observed/Expected error on his SS2 and he ended up pulling the NVRAM (because of...
  7. D

SUN SparcStation 2 memory issue?

Hi Guys, I just picked up some SUN stuff and among an Ultra 2 Enterprise (working, anfter the NVRAM repair) and SparcStation Classic (dead PSU), Ultra 30 (also working after NVRAM repair but missing one rubber foot) there also was a SparcStation 2. I like the flat pizza box design and it powers...
  8. D

Gateway 2000 empty drive bay cover

Put a tape drive in there? ;-)
  9. D

Looking for a PA-8900 CPU for my rp3440

Hi guys, I 'm looking for a 2nd CPU for my rp3440 server... would be nice to max it out. It currently has 1 CPU: a PA-8900 @ 1.0GHz with 64MB cache (HP part#: AB535-62001). Been checking eBay and prices there are crazy if I can even find one (most is the 800Mhz PA8800). So if anyone here happens...
  10. D

Looking for 2 (matching) PIII 1.0GHz Slot-1 CPU's

Hi guys, I've picked up something nice (I think): a Compaq Proliant CL3000, a Cluster Server. I can't find a lot about it, but it's a nice machine: two nodes in a tower case with a shared storage attached. Never seen one before, although in the past a customer of mine used to have a CL server...
  11. D

Sun Ultra 5 DoM issue

Hi Guys, I'm trying to get a DoM (Disk on Module) working in my Sun Ultra 5 workstation. I've got myself an 8GB module. Booting the machine of course gives me the "corrupt label - wrong magic number" message. But when I boot from Solaris (8, SPARC july 2003) it asks me to format the disk and it...
  12. D

Troubleshooting OPTi 486 VLB motherboard

YAY!!!!! It's working again! Sooo happy... So, I desoldered the tantalums @ PSU area. Although they hadn't exploded, two of them were "kinda black-faced" and with all 4 gone the board fired right up again. So I cleaned the soldering holes with some copper weave and looked in my stash to see that...
  13. D

Well, from what I just measured with my multimeter set to Ohm: All three +5V rails show nothing (wel from -168 to then 0) or max 10 Ohms. -5V rail actually "charges" (so goes from 200 to 450 to 730 etc). +12V also "charges" -12V does the same as all three +5V rails do, minus something to about...
  14. D

Holy cr*p, that is EXACTLY what it is... how'd you guess? I never knew the board brand in all the years I have it. Here it is (sitting pretty behind a SuperSPARC and some Itanium and Pentium CPU's: Guess I'll start off with checking the power rails then. From what I can see there isn't any...
  15. D

Hi guys... well, after a week of loosing tape after tape and also 3 tape drives (QIC80 with all my old data, tapes didn't even survive a retension and I had about 50 tapes). Now also my 486 seems to have passed :-( The motherboard (or is it mainboard?) looks totally OK, I can't see anything...
Back