• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by djfitzgerald

1. djfitzgerald

Connecting a VT320 to a DECmate III?

I picked up a DECmate III at VCF East consignment, and tested it with David Gesswein's DECmate II monitor/keyboard. I don't have the monitor/keyboard myself, but I _do_ have a working VT330 that I use with my PiDP-11. Is there a disk image out there configured to let me use my VT330 as the...
  2. djfitzgerald

PCjr serial mouse questions

And as far as I can tell, this is what is supposed to be the pinout of a Microsoft Serial Mouse (Female DB-9): 5 4 3 2 1 (GND) ( ) (TxD) (RxD) ( ) ( ) ( ) (RTS) ( ) 9 8 7 6 When I try...
  3. djfitzgerald

PCjr serial mouse questions

I have a working Microsoft serial mouse that I have successfully tested on my 5155. I have a PCjr. I made a DB-9 adapter for the RS-232 serial port on the PCjr. I plug my mouse in, and the Microsoft Mouse driver recognizes it, mouse test software indicates that it can register left and right...
  4. djfitzgerald

DOS applications not finding SoundBlaster Pro

I've been trying to install a SoundBlaster Pro card in my PC-AT (5170), but I have been running into some issues. All of the SoundBlaster-provided DOS test applications work, as do their Windows applications (specifically, their MIDI jukebox), but I can't get Jill of the Jungle or King's Quest...
  5. djfitzgerald

IBM PC 5140 (Convertable) chat

I appreciate the VM/SP Quick Reference ;-)
  6. djfitzgerald

IBM Enhanced Memory Expansion Adapter not working

I've had an extremely hard time sourcing SIMMs that actually work with the IBM EMEA. So far, the only ones that I can get to work in it are the ones that happened to be on the board when it got shipped to me from Ebay. I have no idea why this is the case, perhaps its some kind of a timing issue?
  7. djfitzgerald

PC/AT Model F keyboard is giving me grief

I've got a Model F keyboard for my PC/AT that I had to take apart to service, and its been giving me no end of grief putting it back together. I must have put this thing back together half a dozen times by now, and each time it gives me some sort of keyboard error. Currently, it is giving me a...
  8. djfitzgerald

EPROM Programmer Recommendations?

I've got an EP-1 and am trying to figure out how to use the thing. Is there a way to write EEPROMs to this from Linux using a serial adapter? If not, is there a PC-AT compatible version of the software floating around?
  9. djfitzgerald

Need help with a finicky Qumetrak 142 floppy drive (PCjr)

Well crap. What would you recommend using to clean it off the rails so that I can relube it with the proper stuff?
  10. djfitzgerald

How would one diagnose a //e PSU problem?

I have an Apple II Plus with a replacement (//e) PSU installed in it (Dynacomp model). About two months back, I started having power problems that manifested in a dim screen and the disk drive not having enough juice to run the stepper motor. Not knowing what I'm doing, I purchased a recap kit...
  11. djfitzgerald

How were you able to lube the spindle bearing? I couldn't figure out how to disassemble it, or if doing so was even possible.
  12. djfitzgerald

Any advice on cleaning a Kraft joystick?

I'm posting this here because my particular Kraft joystick is the stock one for a PCjr. It hasn't been used in ??? years, and just plugging it in and trying it out shows that it isn't registering downward direction data. I had two more Kraft joysticks (one still new in box), and got similar...
  13. djfitzgerald

Thanks for all the help, folks! I have still been having intermittent problems reading disks. For example, sometimes the DOS 2.1 boot disk I made was giving me "bad config.sys" errors, and sometimes not. I put DI on that disk and made a batch file that ran DI A: \N \B in an infinite loop. I...
  14. djfitzgerald

I started work on a PCjr at the March VCF East repair workshop, and have been running into some issues with the floppy drive. I have been having intermittent problems with it playing a game, and suspect a possible drive issue. I'll presently describe what I did and what I observed, and would...
  15. djfitzgerald

Getting NDIS->PKT shim to work for mTCP

Long story short, I can't get mTCP to recognize the NDIS packet driver shim that appears to be correctly installing in my MS-DOS 5 based 5170. Read on for details... I have an Ungermann-Bass NIUpc/EOTP card and am trying to get a packet driver working for it so that I can use mTCP. I cannot...
Back