• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by dorje

1. D

Using machines as they were vs. with modern "upgrades"

Hi, As long as my mobo and its case is genuine this is fine for me. So this may look like an heresy, but my two oldie PCs have a XT-IDE/CF and a Gotek, no spinning HD. This make them more silent and non dependant onto failing medias, except maybe going bad CF cards and USB keys. I have a few...
  2. D

What is this motherboard ?

Hi, I've had such SIPP RAM on my 286 when I was a student. They were ordinary SIMMs with soldered Tulip headers. It cost an arm then (around 1991), like 400 FRF each 1 MB simm. I wanted to DIY such SIPPS a few years ago. With a good soldering iron, some attention, a magnifier and time one could...
  3. D

Amstrad PC 2286

hi all ! On the PC2086 there are four ISA slots. The forth is not accessible through the trap. Maybe it's the same on the PC2286. The PSU should have +12, +5, -12 and -5V. BTW on my 2086 without a load the PSU shows less than 12 and 5V but the PC runs quite happily. It reminds me I still have to...
  4. D

Amstrad PC2086 PSU

Hi, I'm slowly reviving my Amstrad PC2086. The 30Mb hard drive is still functional, but shows bad signs (not ready, bad sectors, etc). It holds an MS-DOS 3.3, and will soon be replaced by an XT-IDE. Due to DOS' 32 MB partition limit I may end up using a more recent dos (MS, DR, Free...). Now...
  5. D

Hello from France

I really thought I had already been here, but no. Well, I'm near Lille, in France. I got my first puter in 1987. So far for the golden 8 bit era. It was a CPC, soon replaced by a PC1512, then an AT clone, and so on. IIRC I started collecting oldies around 1999. A mac 512ke, CPC 6128, then a...
Back