• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by doshea

1. doshea

Any suggestion on this IBM 5295G?

Like most types of relatively dumb terminals, there's not much you can do with most IBM midrange terminals without it being connected to a server. Some of the less ancient ones (yours doesn't seem too ancient) have a few setup and test functions you can access, with the most advanced functions...
  2. doshea

Missing cylinder in DOS hard drive tools?

Oh yeah, I guess I was wrong, it wasn't really wasting that much storage anyway. This is a real cylinder, not something with inflated logical geometry, so there are only 8 heads and 17 sectors per track in the OP's HDD and hence a cylinder is only 68KiB.
  3. doshea

Thanks, and I did catch the clue in your avatar :LOL: Ouch! Yes, let's hope your explanation is correct!
  4. doshea

Interesting! What a horrible waste of very expensive storage. That page says tracks are reserved, not cylinders, but I suppose a full cylinder does have to be reserved if the controller is going to present a geometry in cylinders, heads and sectors which is completely usable? I suppose that...
  5. doshea

Pre-DirectMusic "Interactive Music Architecture" Authoring Tool?

I don't know anything about this stuff (didn't even know it existed :biggrin:), but I found a "Microsoft Music Producer" topic/book in MSDN Libary April 1997 (probably available on archive.org) under "Developer Products", "Visual InterDev", but while it explains what personalities are, it...
  6. doshea

SCSI Utilities/Tool Kit

I've been tempted to do that for a while, but it's not high enough up the priority list to get done!
  7. doshea

SCSI Utilities/Tool Kit

Interesting, thanks! It seems like quite a few vendors have that kind of thing in their SCSI BIOS, to the point where I'm disappointed when they don't, but maybe it's just because I've generally only used "modern" SCSI controllers from the 486 and later eras? I've refreshed my memory by...
  8. doshea

SCSI Utilities/Tool Kit

You might find Quantum's DLTTOOLS and DSPTOOLS from DLTHDD-S.ZIP on mpoli.fi useful - I don't remember which is which, but I remember one of these would let you look at SCSI mode pages and seemed like a somewhat useful diagnostic tool. Maybe one day I'll learn enough about those mode pages to...
  9. doshea

Utility Linux Distribution

I think systemd is fine if you take the time to figure out how it works. I think I had the benefit that figuring out how it works was a project at my work - which admittedly didn't go perfectly, but that wasn't entirely systemd's fault - where I had time to research and experiment. For most...
  10. doshea

Pentium 4

I can't really say I agree or disagree since I'm not sure I've used those accessories more than once or twice post-XP myself, but I think that in that video I posted, the presenter from Microsoft said something that agreed with this.
  11. doshea

Pentium 4

I'm not concerned about speed dependence in the "the game runs too fast" sense but in the "frame rate is unusable under CPU emulation" way, and hypervisors often don't emulate the necessary hardware. I think there are ways around that with API emulation, but I guess I'd prefer to install...
  12. doshea

Pentium 4

I wonder how that "boxed wine" project is going for users who don't use Linux? As for emulation, I got the impression that it's a stretch to emulate a P3 on modern systems (at typical P3 clock rates), let alone a P4.
  13. doshea

Pentium 4

I'm sure some older folk would probably say (or have said) that all PCs are just modern mass-produced rubbish compared to their mainframes and minis. I hold stuff that was around when I was young and from before I was born in reverence, and treat more modern things like P4s as just something...
  14. doshea

Old DOS screensaver app?

In Norton Utilities version 8, Norton Control Center seems to be able to set cursor and repeat rates, and I think there are plenty of screen savers out there (PC Tools seems to have some but I'm not sure how to set them up, too lazy to get the manual out to check). But you never know, if you...
  15. doshea

Keyboards really are terrible today, I think.

You're missing out, you should upgrade like I did back in the late '90s :LOL: There was something I found for Windows 95/98 that let me remap that key so I could hit Win-E for Explorer, etc. It sure looks dirtier from that angle..
Back