• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by fargo

1. F

What happened to old-computers.com?

Do you have an offsite backup? You may set a fund me campaign and let the community pay for the restoration and hosting. I’ll be more than happy to donate for the website recovery.
  2. F

Mid Atlantic [WTB] Toshiba T5200 or T3200

I'm looking for a working Toshiba T5200 or T3200 laptop. If you have one and can ship to Delware, then please contact me via DM. Thank you!
  3. F

Before plugging an HP 85

I'm glad your computer worked. For mine, I plan to recap it soon. These machines deserve some love after 40+ years in service!
  4. F

Before plugging an HP 85

Thankfully none! BTW, the reason I plugin the AC and leave it for sometime before switching any old computer on is a RIFA from another HP computer! The RIFA in that computer's psu exploded while the computer was plugged in and switched off!
  5. F

Before plugging an HP 85

I read through the page and watched some videos. That gave me a general idea about the computer's internal. I opened the computer and visually inspected its electronic components. I found no leakage, short or overheating marks. I gave the internals some cleaning and plugged the AC cable in. I...
  6. F

What happened to old-computers.com?

I also have been wondering what happened to the website. Its latest wayback machine snapshot was in November.
  7. F

Before plugging an HP 85

Thank you Dave. Your answer sets a general guideline to deal with any vintage electronic device and it’s appreciated. I hope someone experienced with HP 85 specifically can tell us which parts are more prone to failure, e.g. psu, memory, crt, etc.
  8. F

Before plugging an HP 85

I got an HP 85 computer. What should I check/test before plugging it into the AC for the first time? Thank you!
  9. F

Powering European Computers with 60Hz

I have a number of old European computers from Olivetti and Amstrad. They are rated 220v 50Hz. I can provide them the required voltage using transformers, but the AC frequency will always be 60Hz. Is there any danger in running these devices with higher AC frequency?
  10. F

Mid Atlantic [WTB] Apple II+

I'm still looking for one for my collection!
  11. F

Mid Atlantic [WTB] Apple II+

Looking for a working Apple II+ in good shape. I'd prefer one with a disk controller card. PM me please if you have one and can ship to Delaware. I'll pay for the computer and shipping using PayPal. Thank you!
  12. F

Mid Atlantic WTB Atari PC1

I'm looking for an Atari PC1 in good shape with or without keyboard and mouse. The computer has to be shipped to Delaware. Thank you!
  13. F

Ampere WS-1: Fixing Plastic Crack?

Quick update about this project! I went with JB weld for this fix. The resin was dropped because I was not sure of being able to isolate the pouring area. I don't want a leakage that would damage this rare computer! Also, the metal inserts are hollow from both ends. I was afraid the resin would...
  14. F

Yup! The cause of the problem was a failure in the right hinge. For some unknown reason, it stopped retracting fully! So when the lid is closed, the plastic experience twisted tension due to the difference in traveling distance between the two hinges. I disassembled the right hinge and filed a...
  15. F

What epoxy brand/type you use?
Back