• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by icono

1. I

Using machines as they were vs. with modern "upgrades"

I only have a small area to dedicate to my Vintage Computers so each computer in the collection has to fill a specific niche. My rough guideline is that each system gets a roughly 5 year span where operating systems and upgrades that fit the original motherboard are allowed. I also use modern...
  2. I

EIAJ RGB monitor connector

Success!! I was able the make the connector and solder up a cable and now I have RGBI video on my Laser 128EX! I made the pins by cutting a 20mm section on 1/16 in brass rod. The I put the small piece in a cordless drill and spun it while filling. I filled it down to 1.5mm - 1.36 mm. Only 7 of...
  3. I

The connecter appears to be able to accept a wide range of pin and still have a snug fit. 0.9mm is way to small. I was able to make my own pins(with very poor quality control) they range from 1.5mm to 1.36mm most are in the 1.45mm range. The pin that's 1.5mm is a little tight the 1.36mm pin...
  4. I

Sears rebranded the monitor from another OEM(I can't remember who the FCC ID comes back to) . They sold adapter cables for different computers. I plan on using it for my Laser 128 EX that uses a 15 pin DSub for the video connector. *Edit I just looked it up again and The FCCID AFA9YBR3CL comes...
  5. I

I decided to go for a cable clamp. Here is my latest design. It will end up using 6 #4 3/8 Flat Head Screws. I was able to find "uxcell 0.3mm x 0.9mm x 500mm Brass Pipe Tube Round Bar Rod" on amazon for $5.99 should be able to use it to make my own solder pins. I should have it tomorrow but it...
  6. I

Turns out grabbing the ferrite is a little harder than I though it would would be. All of my VGA cable seem to have different size Ferrites (older ones seem bigger newer ones smaller). 1. I could try resigning it with a cable clamp like the original connecter does but that would mean it needs 6...
  7. I

Would you be able to make a few more measurements? 1)How tall are the pins? 2) What is the depth from the edge of the connector to the insert that holds the pins?
  8. I

I was able to find 1/16 in(1.588mm) brass rod at my local hardware store. I was going to try "turning it" using a drill and some "precision files" I got from harbor freight. The rod was $2.50 for 3 feet so I should be able to make plenty of mistakes. They also had 1/32(0.794) bass rod. The...
  9. I

The pin is what I have been struggling with the most. I have ben thinking of making my own solder pins. 15 gauge wire is 1.45 mm 1/16 inch brass rod is 1.57 mm
  10. I

I have a favor to ask of anyone that has an EIAJ 8 or E8M cable. Would you be able to measure the diameter of the pins on the male connector? I found a data sheet that all of the other plug measurements and I think I can design a 3d printable version of the connector. The only dimension I'm...
  11. I

486 CPU questions

I was able to find a DX2-50 Mhz and to works (at 40mhz) it's now fast enough that Check it 3.0 says the maximum performance has been reached and the lagging game work great.
  12. I

How to add a 3.5mm Audio Jack for PC Speaker?

Thanks for the link I might try a few of the designs and see how they work. I moved the reset button from the back of the case to a blank 5 1/4 drive bay, I should be able to repurpose the hole in the back of the case to add the audio jack.
  13. I

How to add a 3.5mm Audio Jack for PC Speaker?

I have a Laser Turbo XT with no sound card. I would like to build/buy a small circuit to allow me to connect a set of Amplified Stereo(working in mono) speakers to the PC speakers connection. To give me volume control and a place to connect headphones. I know some Sound Blaster sound cards...
  14. I

486 CPU questions

Those cache modules seem to be unobtanium, i have had an ebay search running for over a year and I haven't seen one yet( at a reasonable price)
  15. I

486 CPU questions

It wouldn't suprise me the case had a lot of rust that I had to clean up. I'm not sure what I'm looking for in the photos. Are you able to circle it on the photo?
Back