• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by Jedinovice

1. J

NPU & word 1?

OK, another stooped question. :-) Will Word for Windows 1 use a numeric co-pro? Lemme explain this: I currently run Word for Windows 1.0/1.1 (depending on how I feel!) on my 386sx16 under Windows 3.0. I don’t use Windows 3.1 'cause it's boring! Windows 3.1 went all corporate and it feels...
  2. J

CMOS battery question

OK, this should be simple. First the story: I have a 386 luggable (it's an expanded 286 box with a 386DX motherboard inside) with a flat CMOS battery. Now they guy who upgraded it made sure the battery was not installed on the board (yay!) But he did something odd. The CMOS battery...
  3. J

Windows 3.0 on Pentium (retro fit to 386?)

OK, this could be interesting. Topic: legacy issues with running Windows 3.0 on a Pentium. Reason: My favoured OS is Windows 3.0 which I have used happily on a 386SX for many years, and still hope to do so. But… I have got married and, while I am waiting to get my wife with me in the UK...
  4. J

Windows 3.0 multi media??!

I just keep asking this on occasion. I really want the Windows 3.0 Multi-media extensions. This was a set of utilities that were given away with (external!) CD ROM drives in the last couple of months before the release of Windows 3.1. It added screen savers, multi-media player and other...
  5. J

Windows apps on XT

I have found the following Windows applications will run under Windows on an XT (assuming 640K.) Please note that although applications state a 286 is _required_ for running apps like Word for Windows 1, this is only because of speed. Because Windows 2 was written for 8086 code all S/W written...
  6. J

Windows 3.0 Multimedia!?

Firstly, thanks to everyone for their feedback and help in getting the 386 'spruced up' a bit! :) Now a real dooser! As I have said in previous posts, I find Windows 3.1 dull beyond measure. Windows 3.0 is flawed but far more interesting. What would be a good compromise would be Windows...
  7. J

EGA on VGA?

Another daft question. I have a number of EGA graphics cards and I would like to use them on my 386. But, there are no EGA monitors left in the UK. They've all died. Except those on some Amstrad 1640's with loud fans and power supplies included! I know that CGA and EGA cards use a different...
  8. J

Share: What do you use your old PC for?

I'm new here so catching up a bit. I am guessing people actually use their old tech in some fashion. So I figured I'd ask, what have you got in the vintage tech line that is your 'main purpose' PC and what do you use it for? I'm curious as to how old tech is used. (I'm all on my own in the...
  9. J

Soundcard, 386 & games question

Hi. I'm using a 386 SX16 with Windows 3.0 and Word 1. My staple is wordprocessing - LOTS of wordprocessing. But I am getting married soon and can see the need to de-stress occasionally, take a break which involves less brain work! I have an Athlon XP for game play and media stuff, I more...
Back