• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by Jimmy

1. Jimmy

M4 Data 9914 R Tape Drive needs work

I have an 8 bit and 16 bit card plus a couple of cables. I will give it a shot with the Pertec interface. Thanks again for all the advice.
  2. Jimmy

Chuck and Al thank you guys for all the help. I was able to read some of the tapes that were not in such bad shape and retrieve some historical information for the bank. I was able to read four tapes for a friend using TapeCopy to convert them to .AWS files.
  3. Jimmy

I do have the manual and a okay scope. I will read up and give it a try. This is just a hobby project. Thank you for all your help.
  4. Jimmy

Chuck thank you I would not have gotten this far without your help. This gives me something to research and study. I know there are places that still service these old tape drives, but none are with reasonable driving distance from Destin, Fl. Do you have any suggestions who may can tweak the...
  5. Jimmy

I understand now what the guy that sold me the drive thought it had a Pertec Interface. It has connections at the bottom but we're covered in what he probably thought was a shipping protector bar. The connections are part of the main or motherboard and labeled P1 and P2. I am guessing there was...
  6. Jimmy

Need Help 50 Pin SCSI Centronics Connector

I need help determining the correct pin alignment for a SCSI 50 pin female Centronics connector. Which pin is pin one. I have posted a picture, is the Centronics connector placed on the cable correctly? Thank you, Jimmy
  7. Jimmy

Al: Thank you for the information, we have numerous old tapes from years past. They are not cataloged. We would like to read some of the old year end GL files, just for company history. There are several that are labeled source files from 40 plus years ago. Thanks, Jimmy
  8. Jimmy

You are right, it was in the late 80's. We copied spool files from a Burroughs 4955 to a Dos based PC and then burnt them to a Panasonic WORM. At the time was a huge improvement over MicroFiche. The table top drives were Burroughs but I think our CE said Kennedy made them. My memory is shot...
  9. Jimmy

Chuck: I will get a Linux machine up and running. After pulling the interface card and the cable connector, it will be fairly easy to crimp on a connector for a cable I own. Thank you for all the help. Jimmy
  10. Jimmy

Here are pictures of the card from the tape drive. I should have pulled the interface card first. It is clearly labeled SCSI. We had a tape drive years ago that had a Pertec interface and I remember moving Pertec card from one computer to another and that the card had the 50 pin 3 rows of pins...
  11. Jimmy

Chuck: Thank you, when I bought the drive I was told if had a Pertec interface, I doubt the guy who sold it to me was any more knowledgeable on the drive than I am. I will do some research on SE vs LVD interfaces.
  12. Jimmy

Chuck it's a 50 pin. I got the card, cable and software from Joseph Minuti at Electro Value Inc. The card does not have a manufacture name or model number. I did email him asking if he had a different cable. I thought I would try and research the cable interface in case he did not. I did read...
  13. Jimmy

Thanks to Chuck G and others, I got the front panel repaired. Not very pretty on the under side but functional. I was able to fashion a new set of hinges from an old hinge I had in my shop. The cable I have in not the correct cable on one end. Both the card and the tape drive require the same...
  14. Jimmy

Chuck I did see the hyper-link this time. Thanks