• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by larryw

1. L

PRE computer age computers (aka mechanical calculators/slide rules/analog computers)

I hadn't heard about the Anita before, but I was mainly interested in the pure mechanical calculators and slide rules at the time so it's not surprising. That video was interesting and led me to look up some information on the manufacturer which also had an interesting backstory. I also hadn't...
  2. L

PRE computer age computers (aka mechanical calculators/slide rules/analog computers)

"London is not what is used to be" Absolutely true :-) Having grown up in London from Primary School through most of Grammar School it is a very different city today. I couldn't find a real fish and chip shop last time I was there as they all seem to now be Indian or Chinese takeout spots but...
  3. L

Nice! Really like the picture of the insides of the Sears Accumulator. I'm tempted to see inside my Compometer but that looks like some serious work, if it's even possible, to make it look as good as your images :-)
  4. L

If I remember correctly the metal Picketts were out of my price-range back then and I got a plastic (K&E?) for the physics class :-). I still have the K&E now with a partially broken cursor.
  5. L

Yeah the mechanical calculators with keys/keyboards don't always hold up over the years for a number of reasons. I have a "Felt and Tarrant" Comptometer with its maybe 90 keys kind of fading away as I'm NOT into disassembling and lubricating, if that's what it needs, these things (it was a take...
  6. L

SO Anyone on the forum collects or is interested in PRE computer age computers (aka mechanical calculators/slide rules)?. I have quite a few as I find them fascinating from an ancient Fowler (120+ years old) or (Keuffel & Esser Thacher - maybe 110 - 140 years old), some German ad Russian World...
  7. L

IBM 5100 ROS arrangement

The 360 series in production environments were a little before my time but I had quite a run consulting as an IBM VM systems programmer (yes Virtual Machines originated on the mainframe) on the 370 and 4300's before moving to UNIX and then PC's. Anyway as I said thanks for posting that listing...
  8. L

IBM 5100 ROS arrangement

That code is really a blast from the past. That listing is IBM (360/370) Basic Assembler Language (aka BAL) and the compiler converted that into machine code. The IBM "Bible" for assembler was the "IBM Principles of Operation" I think I still have a copy of that well-used brownish orange book...
  9. L

Handheld Computer / Digital Diary / Organiser with PC connectivity

What did you end up using? I wanted to do something similar with my old NEC PC8201A which I've literally taken around the world on business trips but then I found the Alphasmarts on Ebay for around $25.00. The Alphasmart DANA runs Palm OS and has several logger programs but the Alphasmart NEO is...
  10. L

Any pointers to Atari 800 RTTY and Packet software ?

Specifically looking for RTTY and Packet software for the 8 bits. Also, does anyone have any experience with going this route? Were TNC's at the time interfaced via the 850 interface? Joy stick port(s)? SIO bus? Even if I just get receive capability it would be an interesting application Im...
  11. L

Mid Atlantic MAC SE/30 boots from hard drive and runs $550.00

Love the endorsement it is hilarious. Can I use it on the SE web page?
  12. L

OSI C4P Can save but not load from tape

That reminds me of my mainframe days. I was working in a primarily IBM 370 DOS/VSE shop converting the company product to run on MVS. They gave me the mainframe literally for 1 hour every day at 4 PM to bring up MVS and of course, they wouldn't even begin to shut down the DOS/VSE system until...
  13. L

New England Anyone with a good 3D printer willing to print this cover for $$?

Check your local library? The first print I did at mine I felt bad because they only charged 50cents (estimates online were around $8.00 with shipping). My second print came in at first attempt $18.00 and then $35.00 - turns out I needed a higher density? The librarian/3D print Guru's help was...
  14. L

Mid Atlantic MAC SE/30 boots from hard drive and runs $550.00

The SE/30 superdrive system boots from the internal hard drive and displays the file folders showing for example Microsoft Works, Clarisworks, and some internet tools. $550.00 for local pickup only. I am in Suffolk County (Long Island) New York. You can see more about this system at my website...
  15. L

Mid Atlantic IMSAI 8080 for sale $1300

THE IMSAI 8080's have now BEEN SOLD as of today. Thanks for the responses!
Back