• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by maxtherabbit

1. maxtherabbit

Degausing old floppy disks?

that's friggin cool
  2. maxtherabbit

Gender fluid 3C527 and "2-1" IBM High Performance Ethernet LAN Adapter

Was any progress ever made with this? I just recently acquired two "2-1" cards which will configure just fine with the reference disk, but I can not get the 3com NDIS driver to load on them. It bombs out with an error about unexpected POS registers. Also the 3C527.EXE diag utility will not...
  3. maxtherabbit

A way to re-use an IBM PS/2 dead drive

I hate all "fake" things sorry. Either use a real working hard drive or don't, all the various sound simulators are trash to me
  4. maxtherabbit

Getting back into older PC's with my first 486 Build in almost 30 years

the RAM has no means of informing the motherboard of its quality even if it was, it wouldn't slow down, it would just crash
  5. maxtherabbit

oh well, sorry it was just a guess I'm out of ideas now
  6. maxtherabbit

Combining HDD LEDs

Seems pretty clear he wants to use the single activity LED provided by almost every PC chassis to reflect the activity of multiple different disk systems
  7. maxtherabbit

Bit of curiosity--Imation SuperDisk difference between blue and clear cases?

All the mac eject gears turning to dust would give this a post a fact check: true
  8. maxtherabbit

Orange spider web on the screen

Transportation did not cause this. The seller did a bait and switch. You did not receive the unit in the original photos, this should be adequate reason to force a return on any moderated sales platform
  9. maxtherabbit

Be careful pulling it out, they have become quite valuable to chip collectors despite being practically useless
  10. maxtherabbit

Actually here is a thought... that weitek FPU is memory mapped right? Try removing it. Perhaps the board is inserting wait states because of that thing
  11. maxtherabbit

I guess. The L1 and L2 numbers here are really not bad but the main memory is still about half to one-third the speed it should be. It doesn't sit well with me but I don't know what else to suggest though.
  12. maxtherabbit

Agree with this. I would go for the Mega Image32 card. The CDROM connector on it is most likely either set to ternary or disabled by default and should be able to be safely ignored without changing the rest of your IDE/IO cards' setup
  13. maxtherabbit

I have never seen a wait state option being tied to cache chip size before, that's quite odd. You would want 32Kx8 since you have 256KB cache. Looks like adjusting the settings helped marginally, but I think it's just a slow board. De-turbo can be implemented in many different ways on 486...
  14. maxtherabbit

OK cool I'll go through them 1by1 Hidden Refresh - enabled is faster but it can cause problems with some ISA video cards (notably tseng) Slow refresh - enabled is faster, almost always works single ale - don't know master mode byte swap - don't know AT wait state - disabled is faster DRAM read...
  15. maxtherabbit

I'd recommend that. Much better networking performance as well. I usually setup the etherlink III cards with a IRQ of 10 and base port of 280h
Back