• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by nc_mike

1. N

Old task switching TSR

I vaguely recall using a TSR long before Windows that was a simple ASCII time-slicer - when switching to another app the others went in to a wait - it wasn't a multi-tasking utility and was very small. I believe is was pre DESQview but looked very similar and wasn't one of these...
  2. N

Choosing the best video standard for your old PC (MDA/CGA/EGA/VGA)

I use VGA on my modified 5160 since I can run everything from DOS through Windows 3.1. Even in DOS its nicer on a 20" flat panel. I use anauto-sensing ATi 38800-1 Graphics Ultra Mach8 SVGA adapter with 1.5MB of video memory driving a a 20" ViewSonic flat panel display at 1024x768x256 SVGA...
  3. N

Why do no modern-day accelerators exist for the PC?

I LOVE my Intel InBoard/386 PC. It has a 4MB daughter card (for a total of 5MB of extended RAM). I dropped in a pin-compatible 486 CPU (took less than 5 minutes) and a driver to get to 486 class CPU performance with my 5160 system board, but there are limitations. For example, there's no way...
  4. N

What was the first joystick for a home computer?

First Joystick - HH-01 Well, you didn't say electronic :-) I did get to play with this hands-on way back circa 1981.
  5. N

Windows 10 Preview Edition

I am seeking a copy of (the original) Windows 10 preview edition of anyone has a copy they aren't using anymore. Regards, Mike
  6. N

Photoshop 1.0 Unboxing

Photoshop for Windows first version Photoshop for Windows first version Very cool! I installed the first release of Photoshop for Windows, which if I am not mistaken, was Photoshop 2.5. I installed it on my hot rod 33MHz 486 IBM 5160 PC/XT on Windows 3.1 in running in enhanced mode, and it...
  7. N

Arduino PS2 to XT converter

Wellllll...that's what we're all here for - to help and inform each other :-) https://pcpartpicker.com/b/krYrxr
  8. N

Getting Windows 10 to run on a vintagae ISA system

I set out to build a system that could run everything from DOS/Win3.x through modern Windows on the same (multi-boot) machine, with all of the feature of each OS working such as sound, networking, USB, etc., without having to change any components between boot up of each OS. I got far - much...
  9. N

Any recommendations for a good DOS file manager?

I cannot get by without IBM FileCommand - it was an IBM VM/CMS Fulist/Filelst clone able to run DOS commands against any file or directory right next to each file or folder, and easily traverse nested directories ans such. Regards, Mike
  10. N

Soon to be added to the collection: A vintage-modern hybrid

It's done! A single physical machine that can run everything from DOS all the way through modern Windows, with full function for each operating system. I am fully loaded with DOS, Windows 3.11, and Windows 7 so far with more to add in between. The goal was to build a multi-boot wonder, one...
  11. N

has anyone one ever seen this kind of connector

Has anyone ever seen a FEMALE floppy card edge connector to a 34pin male adapter? Regards, Mike
  12. N

A little progress...

Posted in error
  13. N

Soon to be added to the collection: A vintage-modern hybrid

This is my latest weekend project in progress. I am expanding my collection with another custom addition; I want to build a bit of a unicorn hybrid vintage-modern system. I am not sure if it has ever been done before. When complete, the system ought to: Have the widest application support on...
  14. N

Looks for Targa2000 PCI (Win) driver targa2000v171.zip

I have a Truevision Targa2000 video capture board for a PCI bus and know that there are drivers for it for at least WinNT. I've been looking for the drivers and see that there is a copy on DriverGuide listing the zip file as targa2000v171.zip(7.7 MB), but I don't know how to directly download...
  15. N

NewWorld Operating Environment

Anyone ever hear or have New World Operating Environment from Digital Video Arts, Ltd? Its not an OS, but a set of optional windows drivers for the ActionMedia II adapter. Would LOVE to find someone that has a copy. Obscure I know. Regards, Mike
Back