• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

has anyone one ever seen this kind of connector

nc_mike

Experienced Member
Has anyone ever seen a FEMALE floppy card edge connector to a 34pin male adapter?

Regards,
Mike

I think I saw one for use with the original card edge controllers so that newer cables could be used. Haven't seen one in 30 years though.

I make my own permanent adapter by soldering a 34 pin dual-row header to the edge connector on the drive.

it would not be that hard to whip up in cad and have a small stack made in china for ~10 bucks + postage

keep it narrow enough you probally could do 2-3 of them in a 50x50mm pcb and have them v-scored for another 10 bucks, so guesstimate a buck a peice for a PCB that accepts a card edge and outputs a pin header together

but yea if you need one get a bench vice and crimp a female connector on a bit of ribbon, crimp a male pin connector on the other end and get some long dual row pin headers to jam in it to convert from male to female or just buy it from china if you can find it

The card edge solder connector will cost just as much as plain old IDC ribbon connector--and the ribbon will be far more robust.

(And yes, I do have several combo cables in my big box of floppy ribbon cables--some I even made myself. Occasionally you have to do that when, for example you need a 1m floppy cable for 3 drives. It's not hard and the hand press is inexpensive.)

Sounds like Mike wants to convert a card edge floppy to a floppy with two rows of pins...

Yes, that's right. I should have explained why...

I have a nice new build using a case with a large window. I'd prefer not to have to use the wide ribbon drive cables for this build. For the IDE cables I have round ones which make for a much nicer look, but when it comes to single or dual round floppy cables I have found only ones with two-row 34 pin ends. I'd be thrilled to find a round cable with the typical 4 connectors (2 34-pin and 2 card-edge), but I can't find any. Soooo, I was thinking if I could find a female flat card edge to 2-row 34-pin adapter I could use the round floppy cable that has only two row 34-pin connectors :)

Regards,
Mike

Yah, I was thinking that the only way is to make one by cutting an existing floppy ribbon cable that has a female card edge connector down to 2 inches or so and then crimping one of those over the other end making sure pin 1 aligns on each end.

Thanks,
Mike

Really? Why would anyone solder a floppy ribbon cable to a board?

The Atari ST did it. Based on mods done, there was actually barely enough room to mount a proper socket so it just saved a little on production cost. Some laptops used soldered cables because the socket could not fit.

If all you need is 34 pin IDC female edge card connectors, I have a few. Buy a round 2 drive cable and crimp on the edge card conns!

Tom

Really? Why would anyone solder a floppy ribbon cable to a board?

its not made to solder JUST a "floppy ribbon cable" it was however a common way to make board to board interconnects, what they would do is take 2 boards in a gig, place a length of cable across these that were already soldered on in electronic assembly, which is often done out of house, and use a press to make the IDC connection.

then you fold the two up maybe stick some spacers in between and stick them in your vcr or whatever... just cause something is used in computers doesnt mean its only use is in computers

I have homemade ones, but I've never seen a commercially produced converter like you describe. As mentioned, it would be easy enough to lay out and have a few made, especially since you don't need any gold plating.

I wonder, would a wire wrap edge connector socket work?

Back