• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by oldpcguy

1. O

Is there a case to be made for the 386?

As with anything the answer is: It depends. What would be your interest in obtaining an 80386 based system today? A specific piece of older software which runs optimally on it? Nostalgia? Something else? I just purchased an 80386 DX system about a month ago (I purchase an 80386 SX system about...
  2. O

PC Archeology: One of first Compaq Deskpro 386 made... but how early?

That's awesome as it means Intel didn't test it. You have one of the earliest 80386 processors.
  3. O

PC Archeology: One of first Compaq Deskpro 386 made... but how early?

Does the processor have the ∑∑ on it?
  4. O

386 PC Suggestions

Perhaps I missed something but in your OP what link are you referencing for the pictures?
  5. O

Is there a case to be made for the 386?

Advent of Computing has a nice video on the 4004 and 8008: Episode 16 - 4004: The First Microprocessor Episode 21 - 8008: Intel's Second Shot I can't speak to the accuracy of what's presented (would be interested in hearing what other people think) but I thought it interesting.
  6. O

Anyone Familiar with a TK TK83305-4N-D-03 Motherboard?

I just purchased a computer with this system and had a question about processor configuration. I was able to obtain some information about it with the documentation here: TK TK83305-4N-D-03 Apparently it can use a solder on CPU (which mine has, an AMD 80386-40MHz) or an Intel 25/33MHz...
  7. O

Apple IIe with weird screens at boot.

Not all IOU chips are socketed, I have a IIe board where the IOU is soldered. The IOU appears to generate the power on reset signal (my Apple IIe Reference Manual is fuzzy so it's difficult to read). The best way to troubleshoot the reset is to use a scope. Do you have access to one?
  8. O

Profile Hard Drive PSU giving low voltages, any usually suspect caps?

Well, he did qualify it with "necessary" caps replaced. He could argue none were necessary.
  9. O

To clarify when you power up the system (with or without the card in post #3) it may or may not display a garbled screen? However each time you use the RESET key the system behaves as expected?
  10. O

First remove all cards. Once done power up the system. Do you hear a beep? If so what happens when you press CTL-RESET? Do you see the Applesoft BASIC prompt?
  11. O

WTB: Working Apple Lisa

This is what happened for the auction I mentioned: A shill bidder drove up the price of the auction past my max bid. Having been knocked out of this auction (by my max bid having been exceeded) I ended up buying the product from a different seller in a different auction. The shill bidder then...
  12. O

I had that very situation happen to me too. I lost an auction due to my max bid being hit and knocking me out. There was one difference though...after the seller canceled the winning bid I automatically became the winning bidder (at my max bid). I wasn't given an option to decline and had to...
  13. O

I watched a video by the 8-Bit guy who used to sell on Ebay (when he was known as the MacBook Guy). He said that he stopped doing auctions and moved solely to Buy It Now. He explained that auctions would fetch higher selling prices they also had significant no pays. He reasoned that, as you...
  14. O

Apple IIc Plus Pizza Board?

Anyone ever heard of a pizza board for the Apple IIc Plus? I have one in my possession and it looks like a standard IIc Plus logic board. It has the almost the same logic board part number (820-0232-02) as a "non-pizza" logic board IIc Plus (820-0232-A). The differences are: "Pizza Board" is...
  15. O

Bell & Howell Apple II - 'Darth Vader' - Astec Power Supply AA11040B no voltages

Wanted to thank you for this explanation as I will be troubleshooting one of these power supplies too and I will definitely benefit from this information.
Back