• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by paul

1. P

Power supply voltage adjustment

Load it up properly and focus on the 5V rail which needs to be within 0.1 V of 5.0. It wouldn't hurt to specify the input voltage standard because the 110 and 230 VAC versions of this PS are not the same.
  2. P

Can a Power Supply for an IBM 5170 be repaired if damaged by shipping carrier?

Does the PS work or not? It's seems unlikely that if only the bezel was damaged that would have stopped it from working. Was the AT sold in working condition? The switch controls the incoming AC to the PS.
  3. P

PC vs. AT: reasons to own one over the other

To me the IBM AT is the collectable machine as it represents the basis of the modern PC, where the PC or XT is too removed. It's still almost entirely stock with a 5153 monitor, but I've got a Tecmar Graphics Master card in it, a $500 upgrade in the day. My AT and 2x PCs are the only x86-class...
  4. P

5150 220V PSU shutting down

Are you getting anywhere with this? I'd be inclined to start replacing electrolytics starting with the 5V and 12V outputs. Even Jaycar might have suitable low-ESR replacements which could be either a short-term or permanent fix.
  5. P

Who are the silicon graphics enthusiast members here?

I purchased an Indy system in 2009 for NZ$101 from a teenager who was selling it on behave of his dad, an industrial designer. It's hardly been used and has no UV damage or significant wear on the keyboard, mouse, 19" monitor or Indycam. I just keep it running at a basic level for display in...
  6. P

HP Apollo 9000 owners: ever found a sticky residue on the HIL keyboard cable?

Ah, got it now... Fortunately the cable unplugs from the keyboard using these delicate "HIL" connectors that look like an early attempt at an RJ45 design.
  7. P

HP Apollo 9000 owners: ever found a sticky residue on the HIL keyboard cable?

5 years on I can report that keeping it in the fridge has halted the excretion of oily residue.
  8. P

Sun 511 SCSI Shoebox Repair

Used rubber tubing on this Viper a few years ago. A failed belt would be more of a worry since it's reinforced.
  9. P

IBM 5170 led/key front panel

When the AT was first released it was slightly cool to have one of those barrel keys on your keychain, at least at my workplace in San Diego for those lucky enough to be issued with an AT. Perhaps as a result they seem to very hard to find now. I used to work in the UK/EU auto industry, at...
  10. P

XT 130W PSU 120V tp 240V conversion, is it possible?

Yes, the same mid-rail is employed in the 63.5W 120VAC 5150 PS. When I converted mine to 230VAC I did not know that this point in the circuit would remain stable so used the 325V rail with a suitable voltage divider to supply the driver IC, at the expense of slightly-increased losses. The center...
  11. P

5153 convergence and sharpness

I've seen some sharp CGA images on these forums now and again while my 5153 doesn't look so good. I've tried adjusting the convergence and screen focus as best as I can, but I can see they need more work. Are there any other issues that might affect sharpness that should be corrected first...
  12. P

Defective Seagate ST-4038 and ST-4051

Just to update this old but still-relevant thread, I've had this same issue on an intermittent basis for a few years now, only on a cold start. Once it's been running it will restart normally even after sitting for a day or two. Since the inductor appeared fine I replaced the two nearby caps...
  13. P

Mac Plus, error after installing 6.05 on HD, "System file may be damaged"

The Mac Plus in my collection has 4MB ram and a recently-added external SCSI drive, a 170 MB Connor I think, non-"Apple" in any case. It had System 7 on it which had some issues booting with extensions applied, but otherwise didn't exhibit any other problems. The Apple HD SC Setup Utility...
  14. P

Minibikes, anyone?

I had a similar looking minibike in 1971 called "Cat 400" or some such but it didn't have the gas tank. The rear sprocket (which doubled as the disk brake) was almost as large as the rear tire so the chain would break frequently from hitting rocks, and I learned to bash the links back together...
  15. P

Archiving QIC tapes

I also used automotive high-pressure fuel hose to refurbish the roller on an Archive 2150S I acquired recently. Fortunately the belt was still good. To cut the rubber tube to length I pushed a portion over a drill bit, lubed it with dish soap and slit it with a box cutter while spinning on a...
Back