• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by Slob

1. S

The beginnings of my 4004 project

I would hope for 4289 support in this project, configurable with some kind of a file. This has been a shortcoming of other emulators. I’m glad you mentioned that the 4265 is complicated because I found it amazingly complicated and I thought it was just because I was dumb! There COULD be other...
  2. S

I have become obsessed with vintage printers.

The few vintage printers that I have probably would be of interest to very few collectors. I would, however, find some way to make room for a Xerox daisy wheel printer/terminal using the HyType II mech, though. They were genuine marvels of their time and built like tanks. I repaired them for...
  3. S

TV Typewriter Keyboard like Don Lancaster prototype from SWTPC

I may have seen a keyboard like that in an early Byte magazine ad (Meshna?).
  4. S

4004/4040 Projects

Thank YOU!
  5. S

4004/4040 Projects

They were, that on the VCC/GND page, the LS245 is connected to -9 instead of ground, there is only one GAL and one LS273 shown, and there are two LS367's shown (there's only one AFAIK). I would (and did) put bypass caps on the GAL, ROM, RAM, and 4049 especially with wire wrapping but that's...
  6. S

4004/4040 Projects

This is my build of jim Loos’s 8008 SBC. A few differences were the use of a crystal, not an oscillator can (spare 4049 gates were used). I added a power good display, and used a DC-DC converter for the -9VDC (serial interface built with old-time RS-232 chips). I used a 27C256 (I have lots)...
  7. S

4004/4040 Projects

Ha ha, I’m working on it…although I wrapped an 8008 about 25 years ago, it was just a demo board and couldn’t run SCELBAL…
  8. S

4004/4040 Projects

On my “bucket list” was building a 4004 single board computer. I’ve collected the parts over the years but have tried to use them and generally failed. Over the last few years, Github projects popped up that made this fairly easy and productive. I couldn’t decide which to build so I wire wrapped...
  9. S

Lear Siegler ADM 3A Terminal - Raspberry PI

On refinishing keys that have discolored, when I had time and un-diagnosed OCD, !!!AND AFTER DETERMINING THAT THE KEYTOPS WERE DOUBLE-SHOT MOLDED!!! (the ADM-3A's are), I would sand the keys with 1000-1500 wetordri (wet) and then polish them with automotive polishing compound by hand (machines...
  10. S

Lear Siegler ADM 3A Terminal - Raspberry PI

I have two ADM3a's, one is beige with a brown base and one has a blue top. I put in new CRT's (old-timey blue-white, not the later paper white available in the late 80's+ color). I've been paranoid about burning those screens and on my to do list is a hardware screen saver for them. One of mine...
  11. S

Why were some DC adapters center ground, shield positive?

I have a several pieces of 1960's portable audio equipment (tape recorders, transistor radios) with positive ground adapters. I think that this fell out of favor in the 1970's. At one time, most cars had 6V positive ground.
  12. S

Does anyone else find this disturbing?

Windows 10 is just awful. The enormous flaw in it is tthat they tried to make it usable on a tablet AND on a laptop, and they failed miserably at both. On top of that, the designers of it and all of the other Microsoft components obviously fell to the "leave your mark on the fire hydrant"...
  13. S

I would say that a good number of adults, particularly young adults, need those classes as remedial classes.
  14. S

I have seen a remarkable decline in self-sufficiency and even common sense among young people. This has profound effects in a society. I have read that "Home Improvement" type stores are panicking because young homeowners can't do ANY home maintenance, like, fix a toilet, change a faucet, change...
  15. S

What is 'proper' restoration

Having "restored" two ADM-3a's, They work and except for the CRT's and "doors" (which I replaced with aluminum, a magnet, and handle), as far as I am concerned they are "restored". Keep in mind that it's fairly common for antique radio restorers to pull the guts out of 70-year old capacitors...
Back