• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by SomeGuy

1. SomeGuy

Obnoxious eBay "please use our app!" popover

Sigh. eBay is still at it. Seeing that garbage multiple times while browsing stuff today. Can't just dismiss it once. At least I don't HAVE to browse e-bay. I'm guessing others have probably noticed that annoying "use precise location now" pop-over on Google searches? Yea, the machine is on a...
  2. SomeGuy

IBM TopView?

Topview does not support PS/2 mice (it does not use DOS mode mouse drivers). Supposedlly there was an update to add support, but as far as I know it is not out there anywhere.
  3. SomeGuy

Alberta Old non-working full-height floppy drives: Offers

My Honeywell OEMed Columbia Data Products 1600 had one of those Qume drives with the full height bezel in it. My impression was that this let the drive be used in an enclosure that only had the screw mounting for a single full height drive. But that lever is awkward as hell.
  4. SomeGuy

Mid Atlantic HP Minicomputer Components

I would be curious to see more pictures or descriptions of what else was in the lot.
  5. SomeGuy

Well, perhaps this is why they are pushing the "app". It looks like they want to collect private biometrics now. (Or can desktops do this somehow?) More secure than a password? Oh, man, someone has been watching way too many old sci-fi movies. Oh, someone copied my fingerprints, how do I...
  6. SomeGuy

Nutronics D509V2 spinning 300RPM on low density mode

I have a Nutronics D509V2 1.2mb 5.25" drive here - the way it is jumpered it looks like it should spin at 360RPM in both density modes, but it appears to be flipping to 300RPM despite the jumper setting. I don't see any detailed information for this model out there off hand. Jumpers are: DS1...
  7. SomeGuy

I would like to know the price of my IBM computer to sell it and raise money for my studies.

The probability of that IBM CRT monitor surviving modern shipping is exceedingly low.
  8. SomeGuy

Capacitor issues outside of home computers.

I have a little CRT TV set that I use. A few years ago, the image width would slowly and noticeably change as the unit warmed up. With some compressed air, tracked it down and replaced a small electrolytic capacitor related to the deflection. More recently, when I had it unplugged for a while...
  9. SomeGuy

Greaseweazle -- uniform odd/even read errors on 360 KB disks

Do NOT use anything that writes back to the disk. That will almost always make things worse, and will invalidate authenticity on factory made disks. Those tools were not designed for disks that were shedding oxide or covered in "mold". For recovery these days the options are really either a...
  10. SomeGuy

ChatGPT gotcha - it gave me a straight wrong answer!

At least then there would be NO EXCUSE for awful grating Indian accents. Give it a pleasant female voice, perhaps even make it sound ditzy and people will forgive it for being garbage. Of course, I don't talk to machines unless I am YELLING at them.
  11. SomeGuy

Greaseweazle -- uniform odd/even read errors on 360 KB disks

Don't dump directly to an ImageDisk format. Dump directly to a flux format (I believe that outputs SCP format). Display that in HxC and it will give you a much better idea of what is going on. (It also captures copy protection, and may get the best possible read if a disk if falling apart)...
  12. SomeGuy

ChatGPT gotcha - it gave me a straight wrong answer!

We've got its great granddaddy over here: https://forum.winworldpc.com/discussion/12953/software-spotlight-babble
  13. SomeGuy

So lately, when I have been browsing eBeh, I have been seeing this obnoxious popover. Normally, when I see a popover like this, I just close the entire page, because obviously they don't actually want me reading their content, they just want to litter up google search results instead. At...
  14. SomeGuy

Davong Hard Disk Controller

What appears to be one of those power supplies is on eBeh right now: https://www.ebay.com/itm/315140751646 Not convinced that would help my card since it never seemd to do anything at all. Never could find a manual either.
  15. SomeGuy

I have become obsessed with vintage printers.

Personally, I feel printers are underrated. I'd love to get a wide format dot matrix printer, the sort of thing that would print bulky financial reports on green bar paper. For the longest time, printers were an essential part of a personal computer system. You would type up your report on...
Back