• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by the3dfxdude

1. T

Commander Keen: Keen Dreams (on eBay)

I wanted to track down if gt interactive did make a big box version of it. And went over to moby games, guess what they did, and there are snapshots of the box. Guess who submitted the box pics? https://www.mobygames.com/game/commander-keen-keen-dreams/cover-art/gameCoverId,60501/ The ebay box...
  2. T

Commander Keen: Keen Dreams (on eBay)

The box's computer requirements are highly suspect. I can't imagine softdisk getting that wrong.
  3. T

IBM 5150 Throws Breaker When Switched On

I have heard that electrolytics that haven't been used in a long time can still work, but need to be reformed. There is a process to do it not to accidentally damage things, but in your case, you might have just gotten lucky. People warn not to just plug in and flip switches on something not...
  4. T

Another cheap (US) cell phone plan

I tried tello out back in March at $9/month. I was about to switch fully to it from Tmobile, when I realized I was actually on a grandfathered plan that they upgraded to unlimited data, still at a lower monthly rate than the plans they normally sell. I decided since given circumstances, I could...
  5. T

Repairing an IBM PC XT 5160

As a novice user in the 80s, my first computer being an XT clone, I knew on an XT compatible BIOS, there was a RAM count displayed and it should display the RAM installed if they were inserted correctly and have the DIP switches set correctly. I can't remember how I learned this. It was either...
  6. T

RS-232 External Loopback Test for TxD/RxD

Certainly something happened. The chips are in sockets now if it ever happens again. I wanted to get it going today as I want to be able to run a serial terminal without needing another card in there.
  7. T

So I swapped the driver for a new SN75C188. This was not enough to pass the loopback test, but the TX signal is now switching correctly. So the loopback test failed on the RX side, and would also fail on RI or DSR on the first run. After a minute, RI or DSR will start passing, but not the RX. RI...
  8. T

Video hosting

When a company has security that blocks you instead, a real customer and paying one at that, that's pretty much a deal breaker. You might be able to charge back if they don't immediately fix it. (Edit, and yes, they are refunding you already!)
  9. T

Huh? "Upgrade to 30Mbps"?

Centurylink (formerly Qwest/US West here), has always essentially been no data cap in my region. The problem with it is they are based on aging infrastructure which leads many people to hate it depending on location, and slow to roll out fiber. They also have had poor billing practices from time...
  10. T

Huh? "Upgrade to 30Mbps"?

I just learned that CenturyLink's company name is actually Lumen now. The CenturyLink name is still going to be used to describe the older technologies like DSL. It doesn't look like they really advertise their DSL speed tiers anymore, and they do not have a price for life plan. Based on what I...
  11. T

For Sale: Spotted at Goodwill Online Auctions

They say parts only and no inside pictures. I wouldn't have cared, except that it looks like it has two (identical?) graphics cards installed, so I wonder what those are. The picture looks like this is really a clone 286/386 system inside.
  12. T

@Eudimorphodon I was just reading about the combined part in a TI recommended design. Yeah that isn't possible here. This is the card: http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/quadram/quadram_quadboard_1984_384kb.jpg The compatible TI parts are easily obtainable @ digikey.
  13. T

So the SN75188 shares the same datasheet as MC1488 at TI. Just because it is prefixed with SN, does that really mean it is TI's own design? I can't be sure they are really any different. There is also SN75C188 (TTL compatible) available.
  14. T

Yes, I did open a comm program a long while back and could not get an echo. Modem7's test procedures helped isolate the problem further to make sure the UART chip is ok. The TTL levels are understood. I was questioning why the XR1488 was not seeing an edge on input or still driving out a high...
  15. T

This is what I've determined today. I looked more at the WD8250-PL. 1. After switching the computer on pin 2 of the db25 is low, and loading the SERTEST.EXE program, pin 2 switches high before any test in the menu is executed. Is this 8250 initializing and activating its own output drivers? 2...