• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by the3dfxdude

1. T

Pocket 386

Something tells me the people making / buying this don't have a desire to have real serial ports. But maybe if you want to use the idc connector with a breakout that's a bit awkward for a little hand held, maybe it can be done? If there aren't integration bugs in the quickly designed motherboards.
  2. T

Weird Intel Windows 3.1

Apparently intel! ;) Although I think it's just a misprint. I was expecting more of 1.2M. Pretty sure it was in '92 my grandmother bought a 486 system with 5.25" HD capable drive as an upgrade path. They were still being sold new... and I understand, the media was quite cheap then.
  3. T

Weird Intel Windows 3.1

Still seems like oem copies for machines intel sold, if you wanted to add in windows I guess, based on what the additional pictures show. These boxes prominently display intel, and they even have the intel eula. I'm not sure why one would want to bundle a specially manufactured branded full box...
  4. T

Weird Intel Windows 3.1

Intel certainly made and sold machines. After all they made motherboards, so it wasn't all that hard to pull together a PC after that. I don't believe they ever sold them in retail outlets. But they sold them to businesses. The ones I have are pretty generic, so I'm sure they sourced things like...
  5. T

Weird Intel Windows 3.1

It's probably just an OEM copy that they bundled with their machines. Intel made and sold generic machines for a while. I'm not sure the timeframe, but I am not aware of that far back.
  6. T

Pentium 4

Yes. In the first message, I wasn't too sure if quark was still around as an embedded product. Since you said it was not, I went and checked, but then I also remembered the 32-bit core for the ME so I shared that. So if Intel really doesn't sell 32-bit at all, they do still have the ability to...
  7. T

Pentium 4

They did sell quark for embedded applications outside of their own designs. The original question I answered was how late can you get x86 32-bit cores after Pentium 4.
  8. T

Pentium 4

Well quark might have died, but you never know where the pesky 32-bit core might still show up: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Management_Engine#Hardware
  9. T

Pentium 4

Intel Atom was sold in 32-bit only variants even later. But it does seem like Intel still sells 32-bit x86 for the embedded applications. I think they are all loosely derived from the Pentium M. So the Pentium 4 was just the NetBurst era, and x86 32-bit really does continue to live on. My...
  10. T

California Vintage Duke Nukum 5.25 disks

If you read through Scott's posts, you will find Duke Nukem was one of the first games for Apogee, and the logo came a little later. This is one of the first disks they would have sold of the game. Later ones might look different.
  11. T

Keyboards really are terrible today, I think.

I guess never underestimate the value of having a place to rest or prop up things like the original keyboards did. Perhaps it's time to bring back Function-key templates. I think I still have one.
  12. T

Keyboards really are terrible today, I think.

esr says that that unicomp fixed some of the reported quality issues in 2020 retooling. So maybe it's OK? I don't know if I will ever try them though, as I have a box of decent keyboards in reserve for the apocalypse. http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/compleat-classic-keyboard/ However, there is...
  13. T

Pocket 386

I'm kind of hoping that they made this one good enough for the internet retro crowd with using SoCs towards their hand helds to distract them from buying up the old non-production ICs that are better suited towards hobby projects and repair of vintage machines.
  14. T

Utility Linux Distribution

Maybe your boot panic is simply due to missing the aic7xxx module? When built as a module, you'll need an initrd with the module in it to boot straight to a hard disk. What disk were you booting puppy with?
  15. T

Dual Pentium III

You'd gain the ability to run two or more programs simultaneously without a performance penalty as long as they don't frequently clash for the same resource. In those days, while it could help a little when running something like a game, you gotta remember that in those days, all games were...
Back