• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by tony359

1. tony359

A way to re-use an IBM PS/2 dead drive

I understand but "real working drives" are no longer a thing - they are all self-destructing. My theory is that white plastic clip inside the drive which is depositing debris on the top platter. If you watched the video, even my friend Epictronics discovered that his PS/2 HDD is failing. I'd...
  2. tony359

A way to re-use an IBM PS/2 dead drive

Hi all, I've always been attached to my PS/2 model 30, it's where all started. I used them at school when I was a teenager and I remember the funny noise those stepper-driven HDDs were making. When I got a PS/2 I was so sad that the HDD was not working and my investigation seems to point to a...
  3. tony359

Help identifying PS/2 board

Thank you - and sorry for the delay! I haven't touched it, it lives inside the PS/2 (at least it doesn't take space). I guess I'll never know if it works! Thanks for the links @IBMMuseum !
  4. tony359

I shall take a look under the shield!
  5. tony359

Ah, I see thank you. So it'll just sit inside my PS/2 doing nothing! Too bad as it covers most of the motherboard! :) Thanks for that!
  6. tony359

Hi all, In my PS/2 model 30 8086 (ISA) I found this board. It's not serial or parallel - at least CheckIt doesn't see any additional serial or parallel ports - and there is nothing on it to say what it could be. Any ideas? Thanks!
  7. tony359

IBM PS/2 model 30 floppy "no index pulse" issue

Hi all, Some time ago I dealt with an IBM floppy drive which was not working. I found 2 faulty logic ICs but then the drive would refuse to format and I found that the "index pulse" was missing from the drive. I tracked the issue down to a Mitsubishi IC (m52800fp) of which I could not find...
  8. tony359

Composite capture recommendations

The Startech works perfectly fine on an Apple II Europlus and on a Dragon 64. I was surprised by the Apple tbh as I think that has the worst of the signals ever being an NTSC machine running at 50Hz or something like that. I'm going to try a different composite mod on the Spectrum. Then I can...
  9. tony359

I've got a Startech composite to HDMI converter, it's doing a good job. The Apple can be a bit temperamental - though I suspect it's expected - and unfortunately it doesn't like the ZX Spectrum signal (DELL monitor as a comparison attached). The DELL is doing a slightly better job on almost...
  10. tony359

I guess it won't hurt. I've emailed them. But I have already an Ebay return open if they can't help.
  11. tony359

Yes. I have updated to 2.14 twice, reset the unit with the button at the back (that's more than holding "1", it also reverts to factory 1.10 FW), tinkered with all the settings I could see. Those pictures are from my monitor as I wasn't sure if it was the OSSC introducing the issue or not so I...
  12. tony359

Well the Extron seems not to be working with my sources or maybe it's defective? I see the same "jumping" issue (somethings it's stable but "split in half") on everything Composite/SVideo I am throwing at it. C64, ZX Spectrum, Apple //e. The C64 was supposed to work with it - but looking...
  13. tony359

Plasma, A web interface with all the settings! :love: Looks very appealing. Also Component output? It would me amazing so I can keep my OSSC's VGA port free for my retro PCs! Someone mentions those Extron's having the same ICs found in CRTs, hence the good quality. Well, for the price I guess...
  14. tony359

Plasma, that looks cool. Do you have experience with those and retro machines? There is indeed one available in my area. I've also found this: https://nicole.express/2021/composite-conflict-completed.html - and Apple II+ is featured and the Extron (different model) seems to be working fine...
  15. tony359

I've now purchased three different devices. Elgato, cheap Ebay one, OSSC "add-on". They all failed or don't work well with "undisciplined" signals such as the A2 or the ZX Spectrum. I'd rather spend a bit more and not waste my time trying to make them work but I'm unable to find something that...
Back