• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by wrljet

1. wrljet

Did IBM ever use Mitsubishi M4851 floppy drives?

I went through some agony to get a working MFM controller and ST-225 playing in there. No reason to keep the *wrong* floppy drives. 🙂
  2. wrljet

That's kinda what I figured. But they did it pretty early on. OK, I'll replace these two with the one original in IBM packaging 360K drive I have in stock.
  3. wrljet

I have an IBM XT 5160 that came with two of these Mitsubishi M4851 floppy drives. They have a 1985 date on the serial number stickers. They have an unusual "door" that I had not seen before. Most ICs on my motherboard have 1984 date codes. All pre-1985. Wondering if these drives could be...
  4. wrljet

PARADISE 8Bit Vid Card

The XT-IDE and XT-CF-Lite both work fine in the XT 5160 (and everything else I've tried them in) at D0000. I've never used 240. It's 340. Which I have set to it so it doesn't conflict with 300 or 320. 320 is the MFM controller, for example, in the 5160. And yes, I am aware of the config...
  5. wrljet

PARADISE 8Bit Vid Card

XT-CF-Lite is set for D0000 and 340h. The VGA ROM is at C0000 (and doesn't extend beyond and affect the MFM disk controller at C8000 when I checked it on the XT 5160). There is a Combo I/O board in the 286 which is working with the XT-CF-Lite present, and it will boot the IDE disk from that.
  6. wrljet

PARADISE 8Bit Vid Card

OK, I put this 8-bit WD PVGA1A (non -JK) card in the (10 MHz) 286. It works, no beeps, with both the original BIOS ROM and the one I tried to see if it would work in the XT (Western Digital - FCC of DBM5UEPS2V00001 - 003056-002). But... with that VGA card in the system the XT-CF-Lite is flaky...
  7. wrljet

Help with custom autoexec messages?

There is an `ECHO.SYS` that is handy for printing from CONFIG.SYS. Includes the assembler source code. May be Found here
  8. wrljet

Getting XT-CF-Lite/XT-IDE working

I haven't tried the older drives yet in another system. Got kinda busy with "real life" stuff at home, and then sidetracked with the XT MFM controllers/disks.
  9. wrljet

I'm certainly not the one to be giving advice on this, but... It would be helpful to know what system this is installed in. And what floppy controller is being used. If you have changed the XUB BIOS image you definitely need to run the configuration program (the one that matches your XUB...
  10. wrljet

A few questions: Did your board come pre-assembled or did you solder it up yourself? Did your board come with a pre-programmed EEPROM? If not, did you program XUB 625 into your EEPROM with the configuration program? Bill
  11. wrljet

Hard disk Driver Card WD1002A-WX1 Without Bios

This is getting nutty! I put the 1701 board back in, to run RAYXTMFM. First run, 1701 error, RAYXTMFM it told me the ROM wasn't in its database, and quit. (attached log file RAY1.TXT) So I put in one of the other ROMs I had prepared, 1701 error, and got the same RAYXTMFM results, except that...
  12. wrljet

The controller that gives the 1701 errors doesn't even show up in the diagnostics selection of SpeedStor. But yes, the two drives I've tried have been low level formatted with the working WD controller both with G=C800:5 and with SpeedStor. At this point I think you are correct, that board was...
  13. wrljet

For what it's worth, none of the ROM images mentioned on this thread, nor on here , result in anything other than 1701 errors for me on an original IBM 5160, with the Western Digital WD1002A-WX1 specimen I have. I understand there is more than one version of that hardware. But the board I have...
  14. wrljet

PARADISE 8Bit Vid Card

Nope, original BIOS ROMs. I referred to that information as soon as I heard the beeps; There were no beeps from the card, (in the 5160 where it didn't display anything, nor in the 286 where it worked), before I replaced the BIOS ROM. I haven't tried it in the 286 since I put in the...
Back