• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Who knows something about the old NEC PC-6001A around here?

Thanks! That program worked great to make the files .WAV I am attaching them. It is late I will try to get this on the 6001 tomorrow I'll report my progress :)

Attachments

• Subtrike.zip
    33.3 KB · Views: 0
Still no dice unfortunately - I am suspecting my cable or I am doing something completely wrong haha. I shouldn't have to specify the name of the program correct? Just enter cload and then play the audio file?

As long as the tape is in the right place, yes. For sub strike you have to do cload and then run. It will then turn the tape back on and load the second part. Maybe try it in an emulator so you can see how it loads normally.

So something must have been wrong with the wav file that I created using the utility. I found another one in that distro (Asteroid Escape) and that worked like a charm. Thanks for all of the help! Computer loads from tape and runs the program just fine.

Attachments

• IMG_4062.jpeg
    IMG_4062.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 3
Glad it's working! I just got a Japanese tape player peripheral as part of a lot, so I'm excited about doing it from real tapes in the future.

The Japanese dump list editor tool has an option for inverting polarity, as well as a bunch of other tweaks for dealing with wonky tape dumps.

Unfortunately it's Windows only, and also doesn't work super well on English-language Windows installs: lots of mojibake. It does produce workable tape WAVs though!

Glad it's working! I just got a Japanese tape player peripheral as part of a lot, so I'm excited about doing it from real tapes in the future.

The Japanese dump list editor tool has an option for inverting polarity, as well as a bunch of other tweaks for dealing with wonky tape dumps.

Unfortunately it's Windows only, and also doesn't work super well on English-language Windows installs: lots of mojibake. It does produce workable tape WAVs though!
I am sure I did something wrong when using the utility I did not use any of the options when doing the conversion. I’ll experiment with that some more this weekend

You might be able to put them side by side in an audio editor like Audacity and see if it's an obviously visible difference there.

The program does have a lot of options. I somewhat remember messing with them, but don't remember the ones I used. You might view the output in a wav viewer and see what could be tweaked.

I do have a an entire wav file of the demo tape digitized from an original from 1981. I'll try to upload it to archive.org later on today and maybe you can try that.

Back