• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Can I use 2 Winchester controller cards to add a third floppy to my 486 computer

willycp

I have a 486DX Micro Q (?) desktop computer that has a Maxtor HD and a 5 1/4" TEAC 1.2 MB drive and a 3 1/2" floppy drive. It is running DOS 5.0 and has 5 ISA slots available. I cannot find any markings on the current controller card as to the maker. It has AMIBIOS 1992 on the mother board. I have 2 Winchester ISA controller cards (dated 1988) that I could use. I'd like to add another 5 1/4" floppy, 360 KB Fujitsu drive. Currently the 2 floppy drives are connected by 1 cable to the Controller card and the HD is connected to the CC by another cable. What advice can anyone give me for adding in a 3rd floppy based on my current configuration. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Most 386 and up hardware won't support more than 2 floppies in the BIOS. I dunno if there's a way to implement in software, but I do know one trick that MIGHT work.

I used to have a 486 with a SoundBlaster AWE32 in it, and the AWE32 had an ATA compliant IDE controller on the end of it. I connected a 3rd Hard Disk to that at one point and it found it, so I don't see a reason why maybe 2 5.25" drives for A/B and then a "Superdrive" (1.44MB or higher floppy drive with an IDE connection) would not work on a 486 via a similiar method. Even easier if you are just using one hard disk.

Most of the time, it is not possible to run two MFM controllers at the same time. Some IDE and SCSI controllers did have the ability to be a secondary controller alongside an MFM controller. With one of those, it would be possible to add an IDE floptical drive like the LS-120 Superdisk which can also read 1.44MB floppy disks or a SCSI floppy which can read most standard floppy disks that fit. SCSI floppy drives came in both 5.25" and 3.5" versions.

It might help to know which hard disk controllers are involved.

There used to be floppy controller cards that could be used in addition to the standard floppy controller. MicroSolutions Compatcard is a famous example. With its own drivers, an extra 4 floppy drives could be added. Unfortunately, the prices of those cards have gone through the roof.

Another option is shown at https://www.seasip.info/VintagePC/floppies.html where you put a switch for the 1.2MB and 360K drives. Only one of the two can be used at a time but how often will someone need to write both 360K and 1.2MB without having the couple minutes needed to change the switch and reboot.

I use an older Raid card ( CSC Fastcache 64 ) that has its own onboard bios , and supports 4 floppy drives. There are many cards that support this feature, but as said earlier needs to have its own bios to support more then 2 on the system.

Unless your BIOS specifically supports more than 2 floppy's, which in all probability it doesn't, then you will need a controller with an onboard BIOS as 'two lazy'. indicated. In addition to the RAID, you may want to look for a SCSI HD/Floppy controller. I used to have one way back when. Hopefully, the recyclers didn't get all of them.

Hi, thanks for the information. The two controller cards are 1) Western Digital WD 1006V-MM2 X3, 61-600195-02 (Winchester, 1988) and 2) Western Digital WD 1003V-MM2, 61-600173-02 D-D15 (Winchester, 1988). On the back of both cards: WDC 60-600173-02 Rev X0 and first card and Rev 1 on second card.
I would be able to connect the HD and a 5 1/4" floppy and the 3 1/2" floppy to one controller card and then I'd like to attach the other 5 1/4" floppy to the second controller card. These floppy drives only have a D0 and D1 jumper settings. They show a D2 and D3, but there are no pins for these settings.
I have one TEAC FD 55GFR 7149, 19307671-49 (1.2) and one TEAC FD 55BR-521 U, 19307275-21 (360). Does this information help any? Also is there an order of accessing the controller cards on the Mother board? ie, is the first slotted controller card accessed before the second controller card? This would be viewing the cards from the side with the first card being closest to the Power Supply unit. Thanks to everyone who can help me in this project.

In checking my BIOS, I see that it will allow only two floppys. So I guess I will need a new controller card with BIOS attached that will allow for more floppies. Thanks, I'm learning more and more about what I can do and how it can be done.

Back