• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hard disk prepared for moving

detscadosu24

All,
I recently prepared a HDD for moving from the advanced AT diag, machine is an XT 286. Now the HDD reports an error, and the heads won't move anymore. How do I un-prepare the system for moving? I hope my heads didn't get stuck in the parked position...
Thanks,
Matteo

You can't "un-prepare" it, the HDD should go through the init sequence when powered up. If it doesn't move the heads from the parked position (but spins up) you most likely have gooey head stop bumpers or a stuck stepper motor.
What type of HDD is it?

You can't "un-prepare" it, the HDD should go through the init sequence when powered up. If it doesn't move the heads from the parked position (but spins up) you most likely have gooey head stop bumpers or a stuck stepper motor.
What type of HDD is it?
It is a Type 2 20MB, not sure about the brand, I need to check if it is necessary. How can I find a replacement for the head stops? And what can I do if my stepper is stuck? I want to prepare for everything and open this item just once due to its fragility.

Every manufacturer had different techniques for the head movement, you have to identify the brand and model to check for known issues.

Depending on the DOS version, there used to be commands such as Ship or Park to park the heads for moving. When I got into PC's in 1990, hard drives would self-park the heads. There was no process for un-parking. They would un-park themselves when powered back up.

Sounds like sticktion. With the drive unplugged on a flat smooth surface, give the whole drive a quick spin. The idea is to use the inertia of the disk platters to 'unstick' the heads from the platters. Just don't get carried away and have it fall off the table.

It can also help to have it warm as well (25 celcius)
Back when they were "state of the art" , I used to see issues with the hard drives not spinning up in unheated offices during winter if the computer had been powered off.

Sounds like sticktion. With the drive unplugged on a flat smooth surface, give the whole drive a quick spin. The idea is to use the inertia of the disk platters to 'unstick' the heads from the platters. Just don't get carried away and have it fall off the table.
How can the heads be stuck to the platters if they are in park mode? I think they are stuck to the rubber stop...

It can also help to have it warm as well (25 celcius)
Back when they were "state of the art" , I used to see issues with the hard drives not spinning up in unheated offices during winter if the computer had been powered off.
it resides in my house, and it is 20 degrees celisius here, that's a pretty interesting fact though :)

The park spot is on the platter, often at the last track, although some drives has a specific, non data spot on the platter.
If the issue is stuck heads, the motor doesn't spin. They don't have enough starting torque to unstick the head.
If the motor is spinning, then possibly bumper stop, or electronics failure.

The park spot is on the platter, often at the last track, although some drives has a specific, non data spot on the platter.
If the issue is stuck heads, the motor doesn't spin. They don't have enough starting torque to unstick the head.
If the motor is spinning, then possibly bumper stop, or electronics failure.
The platter does spin, and I can faintly hear the stepper trying to move. I think it is perhaps just stuck against the bumper stop.

We still don't know the brand and model of the drive. If you suspect a stuck arm you probably have to take the risk and open it to fix the issue

Here it is, sorry for the delay. Doesn´t say the model, but to me it looks like someone already opened it, as the warranty seal has been tampered, well, actually it has been removed altogether... Size is half-height. Could it be an ST-225?
20240209_192535.jpg

Ah yes, the good old Seagate ST-225 20mb drive. Probably one of the single most reliable disks ever made. They don't auto-park but they also don't do much when first powered on because they are entirely "dumb" drives. I've never heard of a working one go dead either from being parked or between power cycles. Make sure your cables are seated.

Ah yes, the good old Seagate ST-225 20mb drive. Probably one of the single most reliable disks ever made. They don't auto-park but they also don't do much when first powered on because they are entirely "dumb" drives. I've never heard of a working one go dead either from being parked or between power cycles. Make sure your cables are seated.
I swapped the data cable and put it in the wrong J connector on the controller. Thank you so much!!!!!!

Back