• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM ISA 16 BIT 16/4 Token Ring Adapter issues

My ISA card has got 02G1394 on the metal protector.
'Pinegrove' - This is good ASIC to have; The 'Pinegrove Shrink' (die reduction; 50G6144) kicks up errors in certain situations. I'm still getting my Token-Ring lab set up and will need to start adding more systems to it soon.

Hi,
Did you manage to get your lab setup? I'll try and pop the lid on my AT to get the pinegrove number to confirm which one I have. With the "auto" adapter can you choose the IRQ. The reason I'm using the one with dip switches as I have a conflict with my sound blaster and need to be able to choose IRQ.

Have you tried the ISA AUTO 16/4 92G7632 adapter? Do you think that would work?
I have the different variants of ISA 'Auto' adapters, but haven't gone through them yet. For the (PCMCIA, so far) adapters under Windows, I'm documenting the drivers to a working configuration - and I intend to do the same for DOS just like your earlier post. Of course, it is taking some time.

Hi,
Did you manage to get your lab setup? I'll try and pop the lid on my AT to get the pinegrove number to confirm which one I have. With the "auto" adapter can you choose the IRQ. The reason I'm using the one with dip switches as I have a conflict with my sound blaster and need to be able to choose IRQ.

Have you tried the ISA AUTO 16/4 92G7632 adapter? Do you think that would work?
I have all different flavors of the "Auto" ISA adapters - When the adapter was reduced in size from that version, the DE-9 connection was added back. The "Turbo" ISA adapters are later than the "Auto" series (even with 1997 and 1998 dates on the ASICs).

I’ve installed thousands of Token Ring adapters in the day. From IBM to Olicom, 3COM and others with SNA, IBM Lan Server, MS LanMan, Novell and alike. DOS ISA configurations are generally straightforward with dedicated IRQ, I/O and ROM upper memory addresses (in the 640K to 1M zone) but become a little more complex when using HIMEM with RAM in UMBs.

As for wiring, ensure that your MSAU ports don’t have faulty relays.
To start, use 4Mbps comms before attempting 16Mbps.

So I've sourced a NOS IBM Auto 16/4 Token Ring ISA card now. Does anyone know how to force the lanaid.exe into CGA mode? It seems to detect my EGA card and force it into a resolution my IBM 5153 colour monitor can't reach. I don't see any switches listed in the documentation.

Attachments

• IMG_2914.jpg
    IMG_2914.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2913.jpg
    IMG_2913.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 3
I managed to resolve my issues with the binding. The short answer was the protocol.ini file.
The long answer is for anyone that want to avoid these gotya's.
The cards I was testing where the; IBM 16/4 Token Ring Adapter 8bit IBM 16/4 Token Ring Adapter 16bit and the IBM AUTO 16/4 Token Ring Adapter 16bit.
The IBM AUTO 16/4 Token Ring Adapter 16bit card is a plug and play card and requires configuring with the LanAid assistant program. The GUI version only support VGA graphics. There is a CLI version which I could not seem to get to work correctly. If using a non plug and play system like I am (IBM 5170) you need to disable Plug and Play. The card only supports two IO address settings 220 and 240. The Lanaid program would show conflicts for both IO 220 and 240. I set mine to 220 even though it showed a conflict on that address.

In order to get any of these cards working with Microsoft Network client 3.0 under DOS you need to load the a combination of the following;

DXMA0MOD.SYS with a combination of DXMC0MOD.SYS and DXMT0MOD.SYS. These files are part of the DXMAID program or LSP. The come on the driver floppies.

An example of my config.sys

Code:
REM TokenRing Networking
DEVICE=C:\LSP\DXMA0MOD.SYS 001
DEVICE=C:\LSP\DXMC0MOD.SYS N ,d800,0,0,0
DEVICE=C:\LSP\DXMT0MOD.SYS  O=YES
DEVICE=C:\DOS\SETVER.EXE
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DOS=HIGH
FILES=40
BUFFERS=30
fcbs=16,8
STACKS=9,256
LASTDRIVE=Z
device=C:\NET\ifshlp.sys

I did not have the original drive disk for the IBM 16/4 Token Ring Adapter 16bit so I struggled to get it working. I suspect I could have used the DXMAID files from the IBM AUTO 16/4 Token Ring Adapter 16bit card drivers floppy.

Here is an an example for the autoexec.bat

Code:
@CLS
@VER
@ECHO OFF
BREAK ON
@ECHO.
VERIFY
BREAK
@ECHO.
@ECHO Loading Microsoft Network Client 3.0 TCP/IP ...
@ECHO.
PROMPT $P$G
C:\net\net start netbind
@ECHO.
c:\net\tcptsr.exe
C:\net\tinyrfc.exe
C:\net\nmtsr.exe
C:\net\emsbfr.exe
@ECHO.
C:\net\net view /y
BREAK OFF
VER
@ECHO.
VERIFY
BREAK
@ECHO

Both the LANAID and the MS Network Client 3.0 setup program install a protocol.ini file which does not work. I had binding issues due to the naming it used. I had to use these naming conventions for the bindings in my protocol.ini

Code:
[network.setup]
version=0x3110
netcard=ms$genibmtok,1,MS$GENIBMTOK,1
transport=tcpip,TCPIP
transport=ms$netbeui,MS$NETBEUI
transport=ms$ndishlp,MS$NDISHLP
lana0=ms$genibmtok,1,tcpip
lana1=ms$genibmtok,1,ms$netbeui
lana2=ms$genibmtok,1,ms$ndishlp

[NETBEUI]
DriverName=netbeui$
SESSIONS=10
NCBS=12
BINDINGS=MS$GENIBMTOK
LANABASE=1

[TCPIP]
NBSessions=6
DefaultGateway1=192 168 1 1
DefaultGateway0=192 168 1 1
SubNetMask0=255 255 255 0
IPAddress0=192 168 2 4
WINS_SERVER0= 192 168 1 10
DisableDHCP=1
DriverName=TCPIP$
BINDINGS=MS$GENIBMTOK
LANABASE=0

[protman]
DriverName=PROTMAN$
PRIORITY=MS$NDISHLP

[MS$GENIBMTOK]
DriverName=IBMTOK$

[MS$NDISHLP]
DriverName=ndishlp$
BINDINGS=MS$GENIBMTOK

I was also running out of conventional memory when using the full version of the MS Networking client’s redirector. I have to use the basic one. Here is my system.ini
Code:
[network]
sizworkbuf=1498
filesharing=no
printsharing=no
autologon=yes
computername=IBM5170
lanroot=C:\NET
username=IBM-5170
workgroup=WORKGROUP
reconnect=yes
dospophotkey=N
lmlogon=0
logondomain=WORKGROUP
preferredredir=basic
autostart=
maxconnections=8

[network drivers]
netcard=ibmtok.dos
transport=ndishlp.sys,tcpdrv.dos,nemm.dos,*netbeui
devdir=C:\NET
LoadRMDrivers=yes

[386enh]
TimerCriticalSection=5000
UniqueDosPSP=TRUE
PSPIncrement=2

[Password Lists]
*Shares=C:\NET\Shares.PWL
IBM-5170=C:\NET\IBM-5170.PWL

Hope this helps if your playing around with tokenring network cards on IBM 5160's or IBM 5170's. MTCP works perfectly also with these cards. Just make sure to load the DXMAID files in your config.
Regards,

I managed to resolve my issues with the binding. The short answer was the protocol.ini file.
The long answer is for anyone that want to avoid these gotya's.
The cards I was testing where the; IBM 16/4 Token Ring Adapter 8bit IBM 16/4 Token Ring Adapter 16bit and the IBM AUTO 16/4 Token Ring Adapter 16bit.
The IBM AUTO 16/4 Token Ring Adapter 16bit card is a plug and play card and requires configuring with the LanAid assistant program. The GUI version only support VGA graphics. There is a CLI version which I could not seem to get to work correctly. If using a non plug and play system like I am (IBM 5170) you need to disable Plug and Play. The card only supports two IO address settings 220 and 240. The Lanaid program would show conflicts for both IO 220 and 240. I set mine to 220 even though it showed a conflict on that address.

In order to get any of these cards working with Microsoft Network client 3.0 under DOS you need to load the a combination of the following;

DXMA0MOD.SYS with a combination of DXMC0MOD.SYS and DXMT0MOD.SYS. These files are part of the DXMAID program or LSP. The come on the driver floppies.

An example of my config.sys

Code:
REM TokenRing Networking
DEVICE=C:\LSP\DXMA0MOD.SYS 001
DEVICE=C:\LSP\DXMC0MOD.SYS N ,d800,0,0,0
DEVICE=C:\LSP\DXMT0MOD.SYS  O=YES
DEVICE=C:\DOS\SETVER.EXE
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DOS=HIGH
FILES=40
BUFFERS=30
fcbs=16,8
STACKS=9,256
LASTDRIVE=Z
device=C:\NET\ifshlp.sys

I did not have the original drive disk for the IBM 16/4 Token Ring Adapter 16bit so I struggled to get it working. I suspect I could have used the DXMAID files from the IBM AUTO 16/4 Token Ring Adapter 16bit card drivers floppy.

Here is an an example for the autoexec.bat

Code:
@CLS
@VER
@ECHO OFF
BREAK ON
@ECHO.
VERIFY
BREAK
@ECHO.
@ECHO Loading Microsoft Network Client 3.0 TCP/IP ...
@ECHO.
PROMPT $P$G
C:\net\net start netbind
@ECHO.
c:\net\tcptsr.exe
C:\net\tinyrfc.exe
C:\net\nmtsr.exe
C:\net\emsbfr.exe
@ECHO.
C:\net\net view /y
BREAK OFF
VER
@ECHO.
VERIFY
BREAK
@ECHO

Both the LANAID and the MS Network Client 3.0 setup program install a protocol.ini file which does not work. I had binding issues due to the naming it used. I had to use these naming conventions for the bindings in my protocol.ini

Code:
[network.setup]
version=0x3110
netcard=ms$genibmtok,1,MS$GENIBMTOK,1
transport=tcpip,TCPIP
transport=ms$netbeui,MS$NETBEUI
transport=ms$ndishlp,MS$NDISHLP
lana0=ms$genibmtok,1,tcpip
lana1=ms$genibmtok,1,ms$netbeui
lana2=ms$genibmtok,1,ms$ndishlp

[NETBEUI]
DriverName=netbeui$
SESSIONS=10
NCBS=12
BINDINGS=MS$GENIBMTOK
LANABASE=1

[TCPIP]
NBSessions=6
DefaultGateway1=192 168 1 1
DefaultGateway0=192 168 1 1
SubNetMask0=255 255 255 0
IPAddress0=192 168 2 4
WINS_SERVER0= 192 168 1 10
DisableDHCP=1
DriverName=TCPIP$
BINDINGS=MS$GENIBMTOK
LANABASE=0

[protman]
DriverName=PROTMAN$
PRIORITY=MS$NDISHLP

[MS$GENIBMTOK]
DriverName=IBMTOK$

[MS$NDISHLP]
DriverName=ndishlp$
BINDINGS=MS$GENIBMTOK

I was also running out of conventional memory when using the full version of the MS Networking client’s redirector. I have to use the basic one. Here is my system.ini
Code:
[network]
sizworkbuf=1498
filesharing=no
printsharing=no
autologon=yes
computername=IBM5170
lanroot=C:\NET
username=IBM-5170
workgroup=WORKGROUP
reconnect=yes
dospophotkey=N
lmlogon=0
logondomain=WORKGROUP
preferredredir=basic
autostart=
maxconnections=8

[network drivers]
netcard=ibmtok.dos
transport=ndishlp.sys,tcpdrv.dos,nemm.dos,*netbeui
devdir=C:\NET
LoadRMDrivers=yes

[386enh]
TimerCriticalSection=5000
UniqueDosPSP=TRUE
PSPIncrement=2

[Password Lists]
*Shares=C:\NET\Shares.PWL
IBM-5170=C:\NET\IBM-5170.PWL

Hope this helps if your playing around with tokenring network cards on IBM 5160's or IBM 5170's. MTCP works perfectly also with these cards. Just make sure to load the DXMAID files in your config.
Regards,
An excellent update...

Back