• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Did IBM ever use Mitsubishi M4851 floppy drives?

wrljet

Experienced Member
I have an IBM XT 5160 that came with two of these Mitsubishi M4851 floppy drives.
They have a 1985 date on the serial number stickers.

They have an unusual "door" that I had not seen before.

Most ICs on my motherboard have 1984 date codes. All pre-1985.

Wondering if these drives could be original.

1_d5f1ce3899f4263335ceb3df67fa86ea.jpg

Bill

Not that I'm aware of. All of the half-height drives that I've seen have been YE-DATA, the same drives that were in the 5170, but with black faceplates. I think most I've seen have been from 1986.

I'll bet, as early as it is, that it came with a full height drive and an HDD, and someone wanted two floppies, so they swapped to aftermarket half height drives. I've got a 5150 that had a half height drive added to it.

That's kinda what I figured. But they did it pretty early on.

OK, I'll replace these two with the one original in IBM packaging 360K drive I have in stock.

If you're going for originality, that is certainly something you could do, but as you say it would have happened early on, so to me it seems like a period correct change. I've got two 5150, one that has two full height floppies, and one that was upgraded at some point with a half height HDD and a half height second floppy, and I'll probably leave it, just to show how things started and where they often ended up.

I went through some agony to get a working MFM controller and ST-225 playing in there. No reason to keep the *wrong* floppy drives. 🙂

I've got one of these (or maybe 2) and I can't even begin to tell you where they came from. Probably Haltek specials (You remember Haltek in Mountain View, right?)

Back