• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. J

Cassette and DOS

Hello again! I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to access the Cassette drive of the IBM 5150 in DOS, like a driver or other program or something. Does DISK BASIC offer support for the cassette or just the ROM Cassette BASIC at startup with no boot disk? Thank you all very much.
  2. J

C Compiler for IBM 5150/5160

Hello everyone. I couldn't very well find the answer to my question elsewhere, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a free C compiler for MS DOS and IBM compatible machines. Visual C++ only goes to 16 bits, I've read, and I'm not sure about the Turbo's or OpenWatcom. If anyone knows if...
  3. J

Compaq and rubber domes

Hello! I have a question. For the Compaq Portable's keyboard to operate, MUST foam be used, or could I put some metal in a rubber dome and some wax paper or other dielectric on the circuit board and have it funciton just as well? I have a donor or two, and if I could do this instead of finding...
  4. J

301 error.

Hello! I tried posing this before, but got my numbers mixed up. Oops. ANYWAY, I have an Old COMPAQ Portable I. It's giving me a 301 error on startup. What ought I do about it? I'm replacing the foam, is that it? Or is it a cable or a chip? Thanks all!
  5. J

COMPAQ Portable 304 error

Hello everyone! It's been a while, but I'm finally going to bring out all my vintage computers again! Now, the question. I have a COMPAQ Portable 1. When I start it up, I get a 304 error. Firstly, I KNOW the pads need replacing. Anyone know someone who sells repair kits? I'm also wondering...
  6. J

Floppy disk head alignment

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to check the alignment and (If needed) realign the heads on a 5.25 diskette drive. Thank you.
  7. J

COMPAQ Power Supply

Hello, I have 2 questions; 1. What are some Common Culprits That prevent a COMPAQ from working other than the PS? 2. What does the power supply look like? I can give a run-down if anyone needs/wants it.
  8. J

Programming Method

Hello, I was thinking, I now have my FORTRAN Compiler running (Thank you to all the people on my last thread) I wanted to know if anyone could give me advice on my method; 1. Decide on the purpose of the program 2. Break it into parts 3. Make a flow chart 4. Check over it twice for errors...
  9. J

Bc fortran

Hello I keep getting an error when I enter the following in BC FORTRAN; 1 WRITE (*,*) "HELLO WORLD" 2 STOP 3 END I get random characters like smilyfaces and hearts with "HELLO WORLD" stuck somewhere in there. What am I doing wrong?
  10. J

TIC TAC TOE Programming in FORTRAN 77

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had the source code or could help with the writing of a TIC TAC TOE game in FORTRAN 77.
  11. J

ASCII Video game

Hello, I am wondering how one could program a game like Ladder for CP/M in BASIC? Here is what Ladder looks like; http://ostermiller.org/ladder/ You are the P in the picture at the lower left. I want the "BASICS" ;) for creating a game like this. I would like the main character to be the...
  12. J

Keyboard layout

Hello, I asked a quesiton very similar to this on the Tandy forum. However, I wanted to know if the PET's keyboard could be converted to Dvorak. I would like it if I could use a non-invasive method in case I need to change it back.
  13. J

Qwerty to Dvorak For the CoCo

Hello, I decided to try the Dvorak simplified keyboard. I like it and find it more efficient than Qwerty. However, after getting used to the new layout, I realized my CoCo uses Qwerty. I was wondering if there was a board or chip that could convert the Qwerty signals to Dvorak. Thanks
  14. J

Video card faulty?

Hi, When I power on my 5150, and insert a disk, a piece of "text" appears. It flies left, then stops and goes to the right. If it helps, when turned on it makes a 2 second beep, then 2 short ones.
  15. J

MDA Driving CGA

Hi. I was wondering, will connecting a CGA Monitor to a MDA card really cause damage, I have heard conflicting opinions.
  16. J

CGA card

Hi, I'm looking for a CGA card for IBM 5150. Thanks
  17. J

Configuring a Modem

Hi, Whhat would be needed to istall and configure a Modem on a 5150? Also, how do I install packet drivers, and where do I get them?
  18. J

Computer too fast

Hi, I am looking at an IBM 5150, It has been upgraded to run a 286 on a expansion card. I was wondering, Will it be too fast for games like Alley cat, Pong and other period games? Thanks
  19. J

VGA Compatibility

Hi, I was wondering if VGA was compatible with EGA and CGA? I thought If I replaced the video card on a 5150 With VGA will CGA and EGA software run properly? Thanks
  20. J

POST test

Hi, I would like to buy an IBM PC, And I was wondering, If the POST passes, Should the computer work?
Back