• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. P

TRS-80 Model 4 Character Map

Those are both Model III chargens. The 8044316A came out in the first half of 1981. It has a revised katakana font (but no changes to which char is which). Early Model 4 systems came with an 8044316A, but the new 8049007 was already in production by December 1983. Meanwhile, in Europe, the...
  2. P

TXT file to a tokenised BAS file

Like Ira said, just paste it into the emulator. Then you can run it or save it to disk.
  3. P

TXT file to a tokenised BAS file

It appears the program was written for Percom's OS-80/MicroDOS, which is an OS implemented as BASIC extensions (i.e., there's no DOS command line distinct from the BASIC command line). I think this was essentially the official disk BASIC for a Dick Smith System 80. See this page of the manual...
  4. P

Looking for the hires Space Invaders port

The link in the Youtube video description is to Mark McDougall's web page at members.iinet.net.au, which is currently refusing http connections, but it was working as recently as July. Here's a copy of it at the internet archive...
  5. P

Damsel and Doctor in Distress

It says "possibly damaged file system, mount failed", and then we see the start of an fsck run. Doesn't that just mean that the filesystem was not cleanly unmounted, but likely will be mostly repaired (possibly with some flotsam and jetsam showing up in /lost+found)?
  6. P

I think she's saying that the cable plugged into the monitor is the same cable whose other end we can see in the photos of the back of the PC tower, plugged into the top right connector, labeled "monitor", which I think is 15-pin VGA. Pictures of the "bus" and the "slave monitor" would be...
  7. P

Looking at the docs, it seems this monitor has a 9-pin connector, but it came with a 9-pin-to-15-pin cable, which is probably in place, and the system has a standard 15-pin VGA output connector. Like Seat said, there's a good chance that any other old monitor that can be found in the area will...
  8. P

TRS-80 M4 - Double Vision?

I don't think there's any problem in the character generation or the video-in signal (pin 8 in the video connector). If you consider the odd lines fat and the even lines lean, that "TANDY" is in the Jack-Sprat image that only contains the even lines. The A cross-bar is in line 3, and you can...
  9. P

How did TUI's worked with CP/M

The responses from Plasmo and cj7hawk seem to be answering a different question, of how one might go about extending CP/M to provide direct access to screen RAM. To be clear, writing an application like Wordstar or Turbo Pascal that ran on many different systems and provided a 2D text interface...
  10. P

How did TUI's worked with CP/M

Take a look at the Turbo Pascal 3.0 manual, appendix L, pp. 345-354. You can see the TINST program had a menu of 26 terminal types to choose from, plus an extensive questionnaire to deal with anything not on the list. One approach you could take is to just use the TINST program, slightly...
  11. P

Model II/16 DOM+CP/M

The vendor of that card would have been Ian Mavric in Australia. As he wrote in his product write-up in the June 2018 TRS8BIT, "Due to the age of the 8in media I can locate and supply, please make many backups of the boot disk as soon as you get your DOM Carte". But I'm sure he'll be happy to...
  12. P

Identifying a 'buffer' space at the end of a program

Hmm, so if an application programmer was writing an application that used 50 bytes of stack space, he needed to set up his own stack, right? And if the amount of space he allocated for that was 50 bytes, there would definitely be a problem as soon as an interrupt came in while the program was at...
  13. P

Identifying a 'buffer' space at the end of a program

But even if you set up your own stack, you still have to assume something, don't you? Namely, the amount of stack that needs to always be available for interrupt processing. If I'm going to use up to 50 bytes of stack, then I need to set aside 50 + N bytes somewhere. Is there a documented value...
  14. P

Modem I & Modem I B differences?

The big difference is that the Modem IB lacks the unusual ability of the original Modem I to be used through the TRS-80 Model I cassette interface (with no expansion interface nor RS-232 interface of any kind). Haven't seen a service manual, but it should be less mysterious than the Modem I, as...
  15. P

M1 2 chip Level II ROM (no 3 chip expansion board) ???

The date codes are the "947" and "948" (November 1979) (for some reason, NEC could only afford 3-digit date codes). The "8043364" and "8043732" are the part numbers, in which the "64" and "32" reflect the number of kibibits (thus, there are 12 kibibytes total). The pinouts follow the Motorola...
  16. P

Getting sound out of a Model 1 TRS-80

Thanks for pointing to the schematic. I doubted you until I looked at it, because I had a Model III with a CTR-80A (which was the standard Model III tape deck for the first two years of the Model III) and I used the earphone method described by Big Five. I never realized that this feature had...
  17. P

TRS-80 Model 1 Video Problem

I found a good picture of the Model I logic board backside, attached to a 2012 post at the Nightfall Crew site. Here's the area of interest: Z29 is in the lower right, Z10 in the upper left. You can see the traces from Z29 pins 16 and 15 (the third and fourth pins from the top on the left...
  18. P

TRS-80 Model 4 and the apocryphal Z80-socket-compatible 48-pin Z800 design

I finally got around to really taking a look at the TRS-80 Model 4 Z800 support, and I was surprised to learn that the hypothetical Z800 that the Model 4 can accommodate was not only never produced, but was never even publicly announced, and is substantially different from the hypothetical Z800...
  19. P

Model 4 Font

Ah, so you do not have a gate-array motherboard (and the 14-pin DIP in U17 is unrelated to the problem). From your photos, it appears all your major components are working fine, but columns 0 and 7 of each character cell are getting wire-ANDed together. Those are the inputs on pins 2 and 14 of...
  20. P

UK TRS-80 Model 1 with 260-9800 hi-res graphics addon - debugging

Viva le (hi) resolution! Viva le (hi) resolution! I'm also glad to see a living instance of this rare creature. The user manual and software for the TRS-80 Model I High Resolution Graphics hardware product (Cat. No 260-9800, available only in the UK) have been available on the web for more...
Back