• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. J

Early Compaq turbo speed keyboard combination

The "6 MHz 386"? Ha ha that made me stop and doubt myself for a second. But now I see the speeds listed on the tables below that and it's more obvious now.
  2. J

One small favor: could you just let me know what is on tables 5-3 through 5-6 for the Prolinea 3/25s or 3/25zs, if it has it?
  3. J

Sorry, I didn't mean it that way. I said "Of course it didn't work" because nothing I initially try seems to work.
  4. J

Nice! This is the most information I've ever gotten in response to this question and I've posted it elsewhere. I'm thinking perhaps I should be using Compaq DOS instead of MS.
  5. J

That was the first I tried. Of course it didn't work.
  6. J

Weird 386sx Problem - VGA interference + divide by zero errors

I didn't even think about a temperature sensitivity with this. Sometimes a chance occurrence is worth a week of troubleshooting. And if the hot air is inconclusive you can always bring it back to room temperature and using freeze spray.
  7. J

Weird 386sx Problem - VGA interference + divide by zero errors

Could you disable the onboard VGA and see what a plug-in VGA board does?
  8. J

Does anyone know if early Compaqs, specifically the Prolinea 3/25, had a keyboard combination that could switch between normal clock speed and a reduced speed? I don't know if this Prolinea allowed this, but I would assume Compaq didn't employ many different methods of this just to keep...
  9. J

Simple bouncing ball DOS screen saver

Random question. Does anyone remember a DOS screensaver that bounces a white ball (or more accurately, a white circle) all over the screen, and could be activated manually with CTRL-Z? I've downloaded a number of DOS screensavers, but none were this.
  10. J

Trouble converting .woz > .dsk

No longer an issue, please ignore. I eventually found another .dsk image that works with modification.
  11. J

Trouble converting .woz > .dsk

Anyone know how to convert .woz files to .dsk? I have this .woz file I got from archive.org (attached) that I'd like to convert to a format that will run on linapple, which doesn't support .woz. I'm testing with Applewin which can load .woz files, and that works. I tried the woz2dsk perl...
  12. J

Configuration information for this SMC I/O card

Someone over on Vogons found a schematic file for this card on the Wayback Machine. After installing a very old copy of OrCAD I can verify this card is an SMC reference design for the main chip. Hence why it's missing the BIOS and PALs.
  13. J

Actually the datasheet for the SMC chip says "IDE Interface - On-Chip Decode and Select Logic" so it is doing decode.
  14. J

I was wondering about that. Something is missing there. But the IDE and floppy interfaces may work as-is if the big SMC chip does the I/O decoding.
  15. J

Can anyone figure out what card this is and configuration for it? I can find the datasheet for the chip, but nothing for the card. I can reverse engineer if necessary but, ughh. Are there any databases for controller cards like what theretroweb has for motherboards?
  16. J

Presentation and help for an XT Expansion Card (Warning, for EE Enclined)

I am an EE but sorry can't provide much help to your question. I just wanted to say that's a LOT of IBM computers. I'm sure there's at least one person seeing this whose is a little envious.
  17. J

Behavior when BIOS won't support drive size

I'm not all that interested in being able to use the entire 4G, I just want it to work. But it's seeming more and more like a hardware issue. Today I connected it to my 486, which has the same I/O card without data bus buffering, and MR BIOS (which should be better about drive support). It...
  18. J

No, if I disable the drive in BIOS, the phantom ports still appear. So that seems to go back to hardware again. Someone else had said that the data lines on the SSD might be getting pulled up or down, therefore affecting the entire data bus. That's where I thought an adapter board to add...
  19. J

I have a ROM socket I can use, but I reduced the C to 1024 and I still get the phantom serial ports and it tries, but won't boot from a floppy. So back to hardware.
  20. J

Interesting. So even though the BIOS allows me to enter 7769/16/63, reducing the C to 1024 may resolve my problems? That would be an easy fix. Incidentally I tested the BIOS in PCem with a virtual HD of 7769/16/63 and it booted fine. But I know simulation isn't like real hardware in some cases.
Back