• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Configuration information for this SMC I/O card

jrmymllr

Experienced Member
Can anyone figure out what card this is and configuration for it? I can find the datasheet for the chip, but nothing for the card. I can reverse engineer if necessary but, ughh.

Are there any databases for controller cards like what theretroweb has for motherboards?

Attachments

• IMG_20230322_174702259.jpg
    IMG_20230322_174702259.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
Regardless, it looks like you'll need a PAL and ROM to get it going.

I was wondering about that. Something is missing there. But the IDE and floppy interfaces may work as-is if the big SMC chip does the I/O decoding.

True--the IDE and game interface has nothing to do with the SMC chip, so you may want to start figuring out the jumpers from there. I couldn't find anything on your card online.

True--the IDE and game interface has nothing to do with the SMC chip, so you may want to start figuring out the jumpers from there. I couldn't find anything on your card online.
Actually the datasheet for the SMC chip says "IDE Interface - On-Chip Decode and Select Logic" so it is doing decode.

Just some address comparators etc. the actual interface to the bus is off-chip. It includes logic for handling the shared 0x3F7 port, bit 7. Take a look at the PCB and the ICs around the IDE connector.

Just some address comparators etc. the actual interface to the bus is off-chip. It includes logic for handling the shared 0x3F7 port, bit 7. Take a look at the PCB and the ICs around the IDE connector.

Someone over on Vogons found a schematic file for this card on the Wayback Machine. After installing a very old copy of OrCAD I can verify this card is an SMC reference design for the main chip. Hence why it's missing the BIOS and PALs.

Great that you found it--a lot of the Taiwanese designs are just the reference designs somewhat modified. I've got a couple of prototype WD1002FOX floppy controllers that match the reference schematic for the WD37C65 that are similarly without ROM and associated components installed, although there are pads for them.

Back