• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. G

2 x 1541-II spinning endlessly

Hi, I have two 1541-II drives showing the very same fault: on poweron, they start spinning endlessly and the led stays on. No communication with the computer. I read this can be the 7406, the 7414 or the CIA. I've found out the problem is the /RESET line stuck low but... this happens only if the...
  2. G

KIM-1 resurrection attempt

I've recently acquired a KIM-1 S/N PA7979 which former owner documented on his site years ago (still online). It was clearly declared broken beyond repair, but the price was good (if compared to what I see asking for a KIM-1 these days) and I thought "...well maybe the seller overlooked a minor...
  3. G

Apple IIc diagnostics

Hi guys, seems one of my IIc suddendly decided to stop reading disks: whatever I throw at it, it always freezes me with its cold "Check Disk Drive". But the drive is fine, so (while sweating at the thought of a dead IWM) all I could do was burning a "00" ROM which has some diagnostic code, and...
  4. G

LISA 2 video problem (screen mod?)

Hi guys, I have purchased a LISA CPU Board guaranteed to be working but missing the 2 main ROMs. After plugging in a known good set from another board (version 341-0175 and 341-0176) the machine welcomed me with the attached image. While I was mumbling I realized that the video ROM, labeled...
  5. G

Olivetti M24 XP1050 can't get it to boot from HD

I've picked up an Olivetti M24 recently (model XP1050) which seems to be working but I can't get it to boot from HD. It has no bus adaptor board inside but a single addon card (plugged where the bus adaptor/extender was supposed to be), a Western Digital MFM controller which drives a classic...
  6. G

How it's made - guess who the workhorse at the factory is?

I don't know if this was posted in the past, but searching the forum I couldn't find it mentioned, so here it is: perhaps some of you are familiar with the TV series "How It's Made", so take a look at this episode and guess what computer is keeping everything up and running ;)...
  7. G

2 x Monitor IIc keep failing the same way

I have a couple of Apple Monitor IIc, obtained from different sources, showing the same symptom: at power on everything seems ok, the led is green and no smoke or noises, but within 5 seconds my main breaker switch trips and disconnects my home from power, just like when there's an overcurrent...
  8. G

SuperPET / MMF9000 with strange video issues

I'm back to vintage computing after a while, and decided to take a look at a MMF9000 SuperPET that's been sitting in a corner reclaiming attention for years. The SuperPET is a heavily expanded 8032, and (to start with) the mainboard was completely dead. After fixing some bad RAMs I was welcomed...
  9. G

Looking for Lisa motherboard schematics

I'm trying to resurrect a Lisa 2 (actually a Lisa 1 upgraded to Lisa 2) motherboard which only gives me two lo-beeps at startup. Battery leakage already spawned the usual green(ish) forest all around and so I'm looking for the schematics in order to check each and every trace. I have found all...
  10. G

Troubleshooting a Lisa 2/5

Today I acquired an Apple lot which included a faulty Lisa 2/5 (the lot, for anyone curious, can be seen here http://museopc.blogspot.it/ ). I mainly bought it all because of the Lisa 2/5, I knew it was faulty but I already own a working 2/10 and that's a big help when trying to isolate a faulty...
  11. G

Alphatronic boot disk imaged needed

I'm looking for boot disk images for the P-series of Triumph Adler Alphatronic computers, namely models P2 and P3. They were known outside Germany also as Royal Alphatronic. They had their own operating system (MOS) but could also run a CP/M version customized for their 8085 CPUs. The formats...
  12. G

Home computing revolution museum

Or "how to turn your home into a vintage computer museum and survive your wife" :) I would like to introduce our small museum dedicated to the personal and home computer revolution that changed the world between the end of the '70s and the beginning of the '90s. So no big machines here, nor...
  13. G

Greetings from Olivettiland

Hi everyone, ...well, although Italy is known more for Ferrari supercars or the ancient Romans, probably, at least here, vintage Olivettis won't be unknown to everyone ;) I've been into vintage computing since (around) the year 2000, more or less continuosly but with two long pauses I now...
Back