• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. D

I just bricked a lovely Mostek STD-Bus / MDX boards Development System

I bought this wonderful system off Craigslist a few weeks ago from someone who worked at Mostek in the early 80s as a product manager. He was given this machine which he listed as a "Mostek Development System". It is a prototype that was made by Mostek around 1984 (or 1983) as they were trying...
  2. D

IBM Displaywriter

Locally on craigslist, I just found 2 of these systems, complete with the 8" external floppy drive and the detached daisy wheel printer. The individual systems consist of the original keyboard, cpu, and monitor. Does anyone know the rarity or resale value of these items? I don't have any room...
  3. D

IBM 5154 (EGA) Display - Horizontal adjustment needed

I have a model 5154 display hooked up to an EGA card in an IBM AT (model 5170) that used to be working fine, but now the whole image on the screen seems to have drifted slightly to the left, causing the first column of characters to be cut-off and distorted a bit (the half of that column that...
  4. D

Bad or Fake L2 Cache in a 386 System

I'm building a system based off an Am386DX-40 with a motherboard (VIP M319P1 TAM/40-P1) which has 64 KB of L2 cache installed on it. A strange problem: when launching certain programs (like Wolfenstein 3D), the computer immediately reboots (no error screen or warnings). Through trial and...
  5. D

Disabling Ports on a Super I/O Card

Does anyone know if disabling the COM and Parallel ports on a Super I/O card (via jumpers on the board) actually frees those IRQs and i/o addresses to be used by something else? I've tried disabling those devices on the board and during the post it reports no Com ports found, no LPT1 port...
  6. D

Crystal Oscillators on 386 Motherboard

I have a 386-era motherboard (VIP M319P1 TAM/40-P1) which came with an Am386DX-40 processor, 64 K of L2 Cache (speed is 20 ns), and has eight ISA expansion slots on it. There is also 4 MB of main memory (speed is 70 ns). There are 3 crystal oscillators on the motherboard that I can see: KTS38...
  7. D

Open Case Without Fan

One of the only things I don't like about running older PCs (386 and 486 era) is the noise of the fans. I like playing games with the sound card hooked up to speakers, but the fans are often so loud in these types of cases it kind of takes away from the fun a bit, even with a tower case sitting...
  8. D

Memory Chip Labeling

I have an AT-clone (286 based, 6/10 MHz turbo) which has 640 KB of memory installed directly on the motherboard (as far as I can tell). The model is DTK PTM-1000 V2. Bank 0 has two rows of 9 chips, each chip is labeled "8744 B USA MT 1259-12" Bank 1 has two rows of 9 chips, each labeled...
  9. D

Putting an IDE hard drive into a PS/2 model 30

Hi, I was considering purchasing a PS/2 Model 30 (the 8086 model, not the 80286) that I found online, but it doesn't come with a hard drive and I don't really want to spend the money on a replacement ST-506/ST-412 type hard disk off eBay. These computers have an 8-bit ISA expansion bus, I...
  10. D

DOS Drivers for 486-class Motherboard Chipsets

I have more experience building Pentium-class/Windows systems where the motherboards often had "Northbridge" and "Southbridge" chips that were packed with all the functionality that used to be available only as add-on cards in 486-class systems (Super I/O boards, IDE controllers, sound cards...
  11. D

HP Pavilion 3265

I was wondering if anyone has drivers for this system (HP Pavilion 3265). I'm trying to set it up as a Win95/DOS gaming system but ran into some problems when installing Windows 95, mostly due with the embedded graphics chip (ATI-264VT2). There were several files the Windows Setup program...
  12. D

Columbia Data Products MPC 1600 Multi-Personal Computer

Does anyone have any knowledge/experience with this system? I'm about to put a complete system up for online auction (includes original boxes and manuals and software!), only because I just finished fixing up my IBM PC XT and I can't keep both systems - I'm completely out of room in my house. I...
  13. D

Motherboard external speaker to SB16

I'm trying to hook my motherboard's external speaker jack up to my Sound Blaster 16 (CT1740) so I can play the PC speaker through the sound card. My motherboard has a jumper for disabling the internal speaker (a buzzer). That is set to disabled to activate the external speaker 4-pin header. The...
  14. D

BIOS Setup Bus Speed Selection

I have a mental block about this for some reason, I just don't get it. I have a 386 DX PC with an AMI BIOS (year is 1990), and in the BIOS setup there's a setting (in Advanced Chipset Settings) called "Bus Speed Selection". It has a total of eight possible values: CLK2/4 CLK2/1.5 CLK2/1...
  15. D

Retain DOS 2.0 on IBM XT

I recently got a good deal on an XT - it has a 10 MB hard drive and DOS 2.0 already loaded. The only problem is, I don't have any software at all for this machine. My biggest worry is the hard drive failing. I do have a backup (a Seagate ST-225) but won't be able to reinstall DOS 2.0 without...
  16. D

Getting Started with Roland MT-32 Sound using Voyetra Hardware

I'd like to buy an MT-32 (the original one, without the headphone jack) to play older Sierra games (all the Quest games from late 80s) with Roland sound support. These seem to be pretty easy to find on eBay for around $70 including shipping. But from what I've learned so far about these, this...
  17. D

Effect of Turbo button on 386 and 486 CPUs

I've been reading that the Turbo button can slow down the system in several ways: 1. Slowing the CPU clock speed directly 2. Shutting off the CPU's internal cache 3. Introducing memory wait states. My question is, is this all a function of the CPU itself? Or is it a function of the...
  18. D

Getting a 486-class PC onto a Wireless Network

This is really going to show my ignorance about home networking, but I thought I'd ask anyway. I'm building a DOS gaming box based around a 486 CPU and motherboard that has only ISA slots and 8 MB ram. I have an ISA network card that I can plug in, and I could plug it directly into our home...
  19. D

Hard Drive Interfaces: XT-IDE vs. AT-IDE

I have an 8-bit hard disk controller in a free ISA slot in an XT-class PC that I'm trying to revive. The controller is made by Western Digital (there's a sticker on it that says 61-000347-00). This controller uses a 40-pin cable to connect to a hard drive (an IDE interface). I believe this...
  20. D

Digital Decwriter II

Recently on Craigslist I found a wonderful deal on a Columbia Data Products MPC 1600 (the first IBM PC model 5150 clone). The guy had taken great care of the machine, having all the original boxes and manuals and software. When I picked the Columbia up, I noticed what looked like a teletype in...
Back