• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. S

Win 3.11 and network card - locks up on startup

I'm having an issue with Win 3.11 locking up on splash screen during startup, which is due to networking. I can start it fine with win /n switch, which disables the network. I installed the driver for Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet card, along with MS TCPIP, installed IE 5.01, and it all worked fine...
  2. S

Do you install antivirus on older PCs running old versions of Windows?

I'm currently setting up a multi-boot P4 machine with Dos 6.22/NT4/2K/XP I'm thinking whether to install older version of antivirus software on NT4/2K. Seems a bit pointless since old versions of AV software that I could install on these OSs would not have any reasonably up to date definitions...
  3. S

Browsing the net on 486 laptop over null modem cable

Toshiba T2100, 486SX @ 25MHz, 12Mb RAM, 250Mb HDD, monochrome display. Got it few years ago, installed Win 95 on it, then floppy disk drive died and I haven't really used it since then. Luckily I installed DCC and TCP/IP stack before the floppy died. Bought a serial null modem cable and USB to...
  4. S

Windows 95/98 DCC null modem serial cable doesn't go past verifying username / pwd

Hi everyone, I'm trying to set up direct cable connection using null modem serial cable. Host is Asus netbook running Windows 98SE with USB to Serial cable and guest is old Toshiba T2100 laptop running Windows 95. I've verified that USB to Serial + null modem serial cable work by successfully...
  5. S

USB keyboard lag in DOS games

Recently I got my hands on old Dell Optiplex PC (P4, not exactly vintage, but good enough as a tweener machine). I've set up multi boot with DOS 6.22, NT4, Win 2000 and XP - all of them work fine (and Dell even has network card driver for DOS for download for this machine). The only issue I've...
  6. S

Help identify punch card / system that used it

Hi everyone, I have an old punch card and was hoping that someone can help identify the system for which it was for. It was given to me on the day of my birth in 1980 by my aunt who worked at a state bank in Yugoslavia at the time. My guess is that the system for which this card was used was...
  7. S

Scans of computer magazines from Yugoslavia (early '80s to late '90s)

For those that might be interested to have a look, website with lots of computer magazine scans from Yugoslavia. Scans cover issues from early '80s to late '90s. Most popular were (and still are) Svet Kompjutera (World of Computers) and Moj Mikro (My Micro). I still have a collection of about...
  8. S

How long is the wait for posts approval on a topic that I have started?

Hi all, How long does it take on average to get posts approved? I have started a new topic (question about DCC setup) in Later PCs section (which has been approved) and got a few replies. I've responded to a few of those replies (answering questions and responding to suggestions that I have...
  9. S

Windows 95 direct cable connection to Win XP / 7 using USB to Serial cable

Hi everyone, I've got an old Toshiba T2100 laptop, onto which I've installed Windows 95. It has both serial and parallel ports and I'm trying to set up direct cable connection, but not having any luck so far. I have two host machines that I tried using, one is a Sony Vaio laptop running...
  10. S

Hello from Brisbane, Australia

Hi everyone, A bit a about me - been in IT industry for the last 11 years (software development), after getting my BSc from Massey University in New Zealand. My involvement with computers started when I was 7 years old when my parents got me an Amstrad CPC 464. Still remember the fun with...
Back