• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. T

I thought I was lucky...

Hello again, As of yesterday, I acquired something I never expected to get: an Apple II+ - Bell and Hammond edition! (You know, that "Darth Vader" computer). But, I have a problem, so I'll give everyone all of the context. So, this Bell and Hammond came with four large boxes (yes, four) of...
  2. T

Windows NT 4 Setup freezes

If anyone has been tracking my sporadic 6-month posting, they might recall that my second thread on this forum was about setting up what was basically a Ethernet-to-modem box. Anyway, I'm using an old Supermicro server (P5STE to be precise) for this end, and was a about to set up Windows NT 4.0...
  3. T

Lots of noob hardware questions

Hello again, I have a bunch of questions about old hardware things and haven't had much luck finding out about them online. I have several 5-1/4" floppy drives that don't work (as in, they can't read or write). About that: How do I figure out which drives are 1.2M and which ones are 360K...
  4. T

Dell Dimension XPS

My Dell Dimension XPS is basically supposed to be my ultra-compatibility machine by running every Windows OS with no third-party software. I, as of tonight, have everything from 95 to Vista on it (can install DOS Windows in DOS 7.1 any time), but don't have copies of 7 or 8 (and don't want to...
  5. T

Tcpf429's Vintage Computer Thread

I was thinking about my stuff the other day. I have a lot of computers that I want to do a lot of convoluted things with, and it will probably take a bit of time to get everything sorted out. Hence, I will inevitably end up creating threads that ask all sorts of questions. I decided to organize...
  6. T

New? Member

I figured I should probably introduce myself because it's summer and I might have some time for once! I am one of (very) few people who actually is interested in vintage computers who was born after the vintage computer era. I'm still a teenager in high school who lives in a small Alaskan town...
  7. T

Modem Server Software?

Hi all, I have been searching for software that can be run on a 90's-era PC that does several things. Long story short, I have mountains of modem cards and I want to use them for something. Because I don't have dial-up (thank goodness) I want to have one computer with a pile of modem cards and...
  8. T

Supermicro Server won't POST

Hello everyone(again), I have a Supermicro server motherboard dated from 1997. The case is not branded but the MB model is P5STE. When I press the power button, the fan spins, and every light on the keyboard, peripheral drives, and indicator panel turns on. No video, though. I tried switching...
  9. T

386SX has a built-in random crash component...

Hi all, I have an Intelligent Data Systems PC-286T (with a 386 processor, lol) that is giving me weirdness issues. It has MS-DOS 5.0 with Windows 3.0 installed. My problems began when I moved it from a ~40 degree storage building to my house. Now, I know you're thinking that I turned it on and...
  10. T

What is UDRAM?

Hi all, I have recently obtained an IBM Aptiva (I believe it's a 2159) and I'm just basically messing with it-adding hard drives and random ISA cards, etc. But I noticed a unique and puzzling feature. Next to the four 72-pin SIMM memory slots, there is a slot for memory the same size as SDR...
Back